(Female Byleth x Reader) Perfect Tea Time

It was a regular day at Garreg Mach Monastery. Students filled the halls, some chatting with friends, others were studying, or sparring. Classes were done for the day so the classrooms were empty, well mostly. (F/n) was asked to stay after class so they stayed seated even after all of their other housemates left. They would have preferred sparing with Felix or maybe even training with Caspar over sitting in class any longer than they had to. The professor, Byleth, held a sheet of paper in one hand and placed it on the table in front of the student. They became nervous as Byleth stared into their frantic eyes with her cold gaze. The paper was the most recent certification exam. The one they totally failed. (F/n) grinned sheepishly, there was no excuse they could use to ease the punishment. 

"You haven't been studying." Even though she spoke few words it was always enough to get her point across. (F/n) sighed in defeat, there was no escaping her wrath. Despite Byleth not being very expressive it was easy to tell when she was mad.

She was currently mad.

Hours had passed and they were both still in the classroom. The sun had gone down and candles lit the room. 

"I don't see why I have to learn magic! I'd never use it in an actual battle if I have a sword with me." (F/n) complained as they stood up to stretch their aching limbs, a few joints cracked with the motion. Byleth sighed, clearly her lesson hadn't reached the stubborn student. Said student sat back down and went back to writing down notes from a textbook, Byleth peered over their shoulder noticing a mistake made. She leaned over and pointed at the paper, failing to notice just how close she had gotten.

"Review this part, its a question straight from the textbook." Although She spoke clearly (f/n) couldn't hear her at all over the sound of their heart pounding in their ears. When they didn't respond she leaned closer to explain something that (f/n) had no interest listening to. Flustered, (f/n) got up and closed the books.

"Whatever! I can keep working tomorrow, it's late anyway." (F/n) said before rushing out the classroom, leaving their notes behind.

Byleth stood in the empty room slightly confused. She decided to call it a night and leave as well but not before taking the notes that were forgotten. She read through her student's papers to try and understand them better. She noticed a particular section that brought a rare smile to her face, Byleth knew just what they wanted to learn.

_____

It was the next day, sunny and quiet. Almost quiet. (F/n) frantically searched for their notes, asking housemates if they had seen anything. They only stopped when Byleth called their name. (F/n) turned to look at her to see an unfamiliar look in her eyes.

"Let's have some tea."

Here (f/n) was, awkwardly sitting across from their teacher as she stared with her expressionless gaze.

"I'm not in trouble am I? I'll get an earful back home if I get another warning." (F/n) shifted uncomfortably in their seat and decided to take a sip of tea to try and release some of their tension. To (f/n)'s surprise it was their favorite. "Oh, you know my favorite tea, thank you professor." (F/n) took another sip before placing the cup down and letting out a deep sigh. "So, what did you call me for?"

Byleth made casual conversation, bringing up topics that her student was passionate about. The easy conversation made them feel more comfortable and open up a little about interests. Eventually (f/n) sat back completely relaxed, they smiled subconsciously. Once (f/n) had their defenses down Byleth spoke up.

"You left your notes in the classroom last night." She said as she placed the papers onto the table and slid them. (F/n)'s eyes lit up and a wave of relief washed over them but before they could thank her, she spoke again. "I looked through a few pages, your studies on swordsmanship are impressive." She took a long sip of her tea before continuing again. "I also noticed your notes on healing magic. Are you interested in learning?" (F/n) looked at her in surprise and felt slightly embarrassed, their bashful gaze was met with an unfamiliar shine in her eyes.

"O-oh! I didn't think you would see that.." (F/n) sighed and attempted to regain their composure. "It's just something I've been looking into, I'm no good at magic anyway." Byleth rose from her seat instantly and reached across the table for (f/n)'s hand.

"But it's something you want to learn, as your professor I have to help." Suddenly (f/n) realized what the shine in her eyes meant, it was her determination. Her student looked at her, still slightly shocked, and then they smiled.

"I would appreciate that a lot professor."

___Timeskip 5 years later____

(F/n) stood over their injured former housemate with shaky hands hovering over them, (f/n)'s hands glowed and the cuts slowly closed. (F/n) could hardly breathe and despite their extreme exhaustion they kept their hands steady. After a quick "thank you", their former housemate ran back to continue fighting.

Just when all hope seemed lost, (f/n)'s eyes were drawn to a familiar head of hair. It was a color they hadn't seen since the start of the war, suddenly seeing it again gave them new strength. (F/n) had to know if it was who they thought it was.

With newfound energy they rushed ahead, breaking out of the formation. The shouts of their comrades were loud but the pounding of their heart was all they could hear. (F/n) ran through beasts and did their best to dodge them, although they still got hurt along the way. Eventually the mess of hair they saw earlier stood in front of them and the rush of adrenaline had left theit system. (F/n) fell to their knees and looked up at the person, tears had begun to fall.

"All this time...you were alive...I knew it..!" (F/n) tried to reach out to the person they admired the most, the person they had lost 5 years ago, the reason they were devastated. (F/n) reached out to the former professor only for their body to fail them, (f/n) could hardly move anymore. The professor smiled at and quickly helped (f/n) to their feet. "Professor...welcome back..." (F/n) tried to return her smile but they didn't have the strength for even that. She simply nodded and helped lead them back to their housemates. They all expressed their joy and despite being overwhelmed, Byleth smiled. 
_____

The battle had ended quickly after Byleth arrived and everyone wanted to celebrate her return. She couldn't convince them otherwise so she accepted the celebration. They would party later tonight but right now she kneeled in front of (f/n), she had been treating their wounds. The wounds were deep but their exhaustion ran deeper, however they would make it thanks to Byleth's quick healing. Byleth couldn't help but smile at her student, from what she had heard from the others, (f/n) was an irreplaceable healer. Without (f/n), there would have been many casualties. The thought of her student using what she had taught brought a wave of unfamiliar warmth over her. She moved a strand of hair away from their eyes, the slight touch awoke the student. (F/n)'s eyes slowly opened, the familiar color was a welcome sight for Byleth. (F/n)'s eyes widened, then they smiled.

"For a moment I thought I had another dream with you in it, I'm glad that wasn't the case." (F/n) said to her, despite being older she could still hear the distinct tone their voice used to have. (F/n) hugged her as tightly as their weakened state would allow. "I'm so glad you're back. Please, don't leave ever again. I was so lost without you." (F/n) poured their heart out to Byleth as she listened intently.

"I won't leave, not until the welcome party starts." Byleth joked, which caught (f/n) off guard. They let out a chuckle and held Byleth's hand. 

"Fair enough."

_________

Yep 2 updates in one day cause I love ya! These were already being worked on I just finally decided to finish em. It felt right to make this one gender neutral cause ya know, Byleth. Anyways I'm gonna take a look at requests and work on em till I pass out so have a great day/night!