Chapter 22: Making up for Lost Time

A/N: This chapter contains mature content.

"I can't believe this," Noah said for the twenty-seventh time.

Yes, I'd counted. He currently drove us back to his parents' home, with one hand on the steering wheel and one with fingers interlaced with mine.

"I couldn't figure out why they needed more blood work, I only have two more rounds."

"You don't, I just wanted this to be a surprise."

"It was, love. Biggest one of my life." He smiled, squeezed my hand, lifted it up to his mouth, and placed a soft kiss against my skin. My heart flipped at the gesture and the big smile he wore on his face.

I'd wondered how I'd feel when I was in his presence again. The same reassuring calming effect was there, but now there was a new sense of excitement that burned inside me. I felt more than just being happy to see him. We'd had quite a few late-night intimate phone experiences.

At the risk of looking odd, I scrutinized every line of his face during the drive. He was a bit more rugged looking, probably from how he went longer between shaving days. His hair was a bit longer, but I knew him staying with his family was the right decision. He looked more relaxed than he did in London, the crease lines in his face and dark circles under his eyes were gone. His eyes shone just as brightly as I remembered. They were so much clearer and brighter than how they looked on my phone, and I appreciated that detail up close.

"Are we going to see your parents?" I asked after a few moments of silence.

He nodded, then tapped the call button on his steering wheel. "They're going to be over the moon, let me call them."

"Don't, they already know." I smiled. "I called them on my drive here. Plus they've probably received my boxes already."

"I wondered why Mum told me five times to get my blood work." He turned towards me briefly and flashed a grin. "Change of plans then. They can wait a bit longer."

"Where are we going?"

"My turn to surprise you," was all he'd say. "First, spill it."

"What?" I smiled at the idea we'd have some time alone before we rushed into meeting his family in person.

"Everything. How long have you been planning this?"

"Almost two weeks." My eyes flashed with excitement and now I wore a big grin. "I would've been here sooner but had to get a travel restriction exception."

"I'm glad you did." His hand squeezed mine gently. "How long can you stay?"

"Just until I get transferred, to work on my dissertation." He turned to me with concern in his eyes. "Where?"

"I had some choices of NHS offices, went with Kent." With that, he immediately slammed on the car brakes. I laughed as we lurched forwards, but groaned when the seat belt grabbed into my stomach.

"Really!?"

I nodded. His face broke into the largest smile I'd ever seen. It was contagious and I returned the smile. "When do you start? How long?"

"That's why I'm here. I was hoping to be done in a year, but I could drag it out if I have to."

"I can't believe it. Now I definitely need to show you something."

Twenty-eight.