Chapter 23: Distractions

Noah's family was exactly the same in person how they were on Face Time, but much warmer. There were also a lot more hugs. Their house was small and quaint, with white walls and wonderful, warm smells from the kitchen. The house did seem a bit claustrophobic for a family of five though, and now six when I stood inside.

His mom and dad converged on me as soon as I stepped out of the car, hugged me, and laughed at Noah's surprise. While a few weeks ago I would've been mortified in such social chaos, today I simple laughed in the middle of all of it.

"Maggie, you are lovely." His mom looked at me warmly as her hands squeezed my upper arms. "Just like on the telly."

"You could have just used your phone." I threw Noah a warning look.

He just winked, strode towards the doors, and nodded at his dad.

"Come in, come in!" She grabbed my shoulders and led me inside. I recognized the boxes stacked up in their front entrance area and rested my purse on the top one.

I recognized Christian once we stepped inside and gave him an awkward hug, then smiled at Connor, who just waved in my general direction with disinterest before turning back to his phone.

"Don't mind him," Noah nudged me. "He's trying to score a date with a girl up the street. Normally wouldn't stand a chance but she's quarantined in, so..."

"So, what's first?" His dad squeezed past behind me.

"If it's okay, I'd like to change my clothes since we were at the hospital." I ran my fingers through my hair. "Just to be safe. Maybe shower?"

"Of course. First, sleeping arrangements." His mom pointed at my belongings, which also included a backpack and suitcase. "Noah, take those up to your room."

"That's okay?" I asked with wide eyes.

She nodded and just gave me a knowing smile. European parents were obviously a bit less uptight.

My parents would've put Noah in the basement.

"Yes love. Change, wash up for dinner. I assume you want to get reacquainted tonight," she paused. "Then Noah tomorrow after breakfast you can take Maggie to see Gram."

"Okay, thank you." I followed Noah upstairs. Their house seemed to get smaller upstairs, with four bedrooms wedged around a single bathroom.

"Here." Noah led me into his room. The room was only ten feet by twelve feet, and taken up mostly by his bed. It reminded me of my small apartment, although he at least had a closet. I smiled when I saw his guitar case propped up in a corner, before my eyes traveled to a display wall above his desk.

He'd attached a lot of pictures. Some of them were years older, with friends and family embracing a younger version of him. I recognized some more recent ones from our tour. He caught me smiling at them, dropped my stuff on the floor, and came up behind me. I felt a sense of security as he wrapped his arms around my waist and rested his chin on my shoulder.

"Mum printed them for me when we sent you the first care box," he mumbled then brushed his lips against the side of my neck.

"Noah," I giggled at the soft sensations and swatted playfully at him. "Your family's downstairs."

Suddenly, I felt a bit embarrassed about our phone conversations. The walls in this house were paper thin. I could hear thumping from the living room television in the floor and muffled conversations through the floor.

"I know." His fingers played with the edge of my shirt and rubbed the skin underneath suggestively as his kisses against the skin on my neck turned deeper. His thumb slid higher and drew soft circles on my ribs. "They turned up the telly, so it's okay."