Chapter 24: Turn for the Worst

"I can't wait for you to meet Gram," Noah mused as his hand squeezed mine. "Mum called her yesterday and she's excited."

"Me too." I smiled and ran my fingers over her silver cross.

"This is hers." He pulled onto a small side street.

Canterbury was a quieter town, but beautiful in its simplistic charm. Smatterings of black and white Tudor-style houses were mixed within all-brick row homes, like the one he'd just pulled up in front of. The neighborhood was a bit quiet outside, with only an occasional jogger or dog walker on the streets.

"Step up close here." He pointed to a large picture window and picked up his phone. The frame of an elderly woman came into the window, a bright smile on her face. She had the same piercing blue eyes that most of Noah's family shared, and twinkled as she waved. She wore a blue paisley patterned robe and her hair was tied up in a scarf.

"Hi Gram," Noah said into his phone. She said something back on her end. I wasn't sure what came over me, but I reached over and placed my palm flat on the window. She smiled and placed hers on the other side, then spoke into the phone again.

"I'll tell her. Or you do it -" He pushed the speaker button. "Gram, say hi to Maggie."

"Hi Maggie." She smiled and curled her fingers back from the window.

"Hi Gram," I replied. "It's nice to meet you."

"Maggie, you're lovely. Did you really come from London to be with my idiot grandson? What are we going to do with you?" She turned her head suddenly and let off a small cough.

"Whatever she lets me do." Noah grinned and hugged me against his hip.

"Don't be cheeky," she scolded him and cleared her throat. Her eyes shifted down to my chest level and she said, "So, he did give you my necklace."

"I'm sorry." My fingers flew to the back clasp. I started to take it off when she assured me, "Don't. I'm old, can't take it with me. Looks better on Noah's girl than me anyways."

My heart melted at her words.

"Gram, how are you feeling?" Concern dotted Noah's eyes.

"Just this silly cough." She turned her head again and coughed. "Been nagging me for a few days. Don't know how I picked it up. Feeling a bit warm and flustered today too."

"Gram," I said gently into the phone. "Would you be okay if we had a doctor come check you out? Just to be sure."

"That's not necessary dear," she said, but covered her mouth with her fist and coughed again. I pushed off the speaker phone, whispered "I insist" into Noah's ear, and excused myself to make a phone call. He got the hint and I overheard him as he convinced her that a doctor visit was just to see if she didn't need any medicine. I took a few steps further away so he wouldn't hear me.

"NHS emergency hotline, Kent and Canterbury," a voice replied immediately in my ear.

"Yes, hi." I glanced up at Noah, who still smiled up at Gram's window. "I'd like to report a potential case of COVID-19."