Night Terrors and Yellow Crocs

I woke up with a scream, breathing heavily, sweat covering every inch of my body. Trembling, I tried to calm myself down, "1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3..." I counted, trying to steady my breathing, though having little success. Thoughts swam around my head... dark, horrible, twisted thoughts, surrounding me and closing in on me, drowning me in a sea of my own deepest fears.

My breath hitched in my throat, I was starting to have a panic attack. I heard a soft knock at the door, "M-Mistress?" called a soft voice from behind the door. I knew who it was, but I couldn't answer, my throat was starting to burn and itch. I stumbled out of bed, struggling to breathe, and used my magic to weakly throw the door open just as I dropped to the floor, my vision going black.

*     *     *     *    *

I awoke about half an hour later, my eyes were still closed, but I could tell that I wasn't on the floor any more, no... I was warm, I felt... safe. I slowly opened my eyes, stirring a bit as I woke up a little more with each passing second. I felt arms around me, I looked up, "W-Will?" I mumbled, straining my eyes to look at the figure next to me. Granted, my vision was blurry, but I could still make out who it was. "Will, I-I-"

"Shhhh, Mistress, I know, it's okay."

"It's the night terrors again." I said quietly, closing my eyes again and feeling embarrassed.

Will gently pulled my chin up to make me look at him, "It's nothing to feel bad about Mistress, it's normal. It tells me that you have a strong imagination." He said, with a small smile, trying to cheer me up.

"Thanks... but I thought I was over them, but... I guess they never really left. I hate them, I don't want them anymore. They... they frighten me." I admitted, feeling even more embarrassed.

"I know Mistress, it's okay, I remember you used to have them as a child, all that time ago. Dreams can be scary sometimes, yours certainly are, and no, that doesn't make you weak, not at all."

"How do you...?"

He tapped his forehead with a knowing smile, "Dream-"

"Demon." I finished for him, cuddling up to him. He didn't try to move away, but instead ran a warm hand through my soft brown hair, letting me curl up on his lap, and settle down. "Brother and sister dear would laugh at me..." I whispered, knowing that he would be able to hear me. 

"Uhh... No Mistress... they wouldn't. And even if they did, they wouldn't mean it, they love you very much."

I sighed, "I know, I know, it's just... here I am, crying like a baby, like a child, even. I feel so pathetic. Why can't I just be like them? They're so strong, and brave and... special."

"Hey, hey, you are special." He soothed, "A-and crying is fine, Miss. Everyone does it, it's just our bodies' natural reaction to dealing with things we find tough, or hard, or unfair."

I nodded, sighing again, and laying my head on his chest, the steady rhythmic tick-tock of his heartbeat lulling me to sleep. "You are like them Mistress, you're very much like them. You're alike in so many ways that I couldn't even begin to list them, well... except that you're not as cruel as they are to me. But you're also unique, you are your own person after all. Take Mason, for example, would kill you in a heartbeat, but he can be passive and kind once you get to know him, or well... once he gets to know you, he'll never let you close to him until he decides you can. When we're alone, or not around too many people, he's not so bad to me, and... he proves that he's not just a cold-hearted psycho."

"And... take Mabel," He continued, "Possessive and demanding on the outside, but sweet and funny on the inside. She takes more pity on me than Mason does, but it doesn't mean she punishes me any less, in fact, I think she may be the harsher twin in some circumstances, but still, it's not her fault, I love her just the same. In a... friendly-don't-kill-me way." He said with a small chuckle. "Just as Mason is, she's nicer to me when we're alone, and not around other people. So, Mistress, you're not so different from them either, you... are, err... perfect on the inside too." He finished, his voice hinting at a sense of pride for his word choice at the end there.