Episode 1 - The beginning of everything...

The Han Dynasty (206 BC - 220 AD) - which is currently ruled by the emperor LiuBang, who is also known as Emperor GaoZu of Han.

The town [LuTang], which is near the capital, is a place where there lives many farmers, merchants and peasants. It is a very harmonious place and everyday is like any other - cheerful and peaceful. On the streets you can hear laughters everywhere.

One sunny day, there are two young girls walking down the market place.
"Sister! Sister RuoQi look! Aren't those jade pieces beautiful?", LiFu said in front of a little stall which sells beautiful accessories from around the world.

The sister answers: "Indeed, they are gorgeous."

Xia LiFu is 17-year-old this year. She is a cheerful, carefree and a little tomboyish young girl. She lifes together with her sickly mother and her 20-year-old elder sister Xia RuoQi. She loves her sister very much and wishes to be like her because she is the most beautiful and well-mannered girl in the whole town. LiFu enjoys and loves to play around and once a day she helps the people at the town and that is why she is loved by everyone.

LiFu looks at the pieces carefully and picks up a sea-blue and a fire-red ones and buys them. She turns towards her sister and says smilingly: "Sister RuoQi here, this one is for you.", she reaches out her hand and gives the fire-red jade piece to her. "I bought two of these - the sea-blue one is for me and the fire-red one is for you. This will symbolise our deep relationship between us Xia-Sisters. This way the both of us will be together forever!"

The both of them walk down the market street happily when suddenly YangLi appears before them.

"Who does my handsome eyes see? It is my lovely RuoQi and her tomboy little sister. Are you two going out to buy things? Tell me what you want and I will buy everything for you - of course, if you would be mine and marry the handsome me", YangLi says proudly while brushing his her to the side and tries to look good.

He YangLi is the heir and the only son of the He household. The He family is known as the richest family in town. YangLi is in love with RuoQi and always courts her whenever he sees her. Even though RuoQi always refuses his offer, YangLi never gives up the idea to make RuoQi marry him.

"He YangLi! It's you again!", LiFu points her finger at YangLi furiously. "Why don't you just give up? My sister will never love you so stop bothering her everyday!".
"Hmph! Never! I know that she loves me. She is only concerned about our family status.", he looks at RuoQi he then approaches towards RuoQi and continues, "But there is no need to worry, my dear. With your beauty and manners, no one in my family will be able to guess that you are from a filthy pauper family so-"
"Who are you calling filthy?!", LiFu interrups YangLi, "Just because you are rich doesn't give you the right to say such things about my family!!" Right when LiFu is about to move towards YangLi, RuoQi stops her: "Ignore him. Let us head home now. Mother must be worried about us two." After saying that RuoQi takes LiFu's hand and walks away leaving YangLi speechless behind them.

A few days later - Someone knocks at a small wooden and almost broken door of the Xia household - the house of LiFu and her family is a bit old, tiny and full of spider webs but it is filled with warmth and laughter. Even though they are poor, the family members support each other - and that makes them the most unique family.

After awhile LiFu opens the door - it was Uncle Lee, the farmer next door.

Somedays LiFu helps Uncle Lee with watering the fields because he is already very old and as his wife passed away 5 years ago, he has to look after the fields alone. "I am about to go out to the fields again today. I know that this old man is always bothering you. But I was wondering if you'd like to help me out today again." Uncle Lee says with his head looking down. She agrees to go with him. "Don't be late.", her mother says in a slow and worried voice, as if she knows something will happen.