chapter five

"YOᑌᖇ EYEᔕ ᗩᖇE ᔕTᑌᑎᑎIᑎG."

It didn't sit right with Izuku. At that moment, he was laying down on his bed, hands propping up his head as he stared at the ceiling. And of course, being the person he was, he was thinking if Ochako was really alright or not.

He hadn't been convinced before, when she "smiled" at him, and he still wasn't sure if she was doing good. It had been so unlike her, to act so shaken. He couldn't think about why, other than the fact that he had passed out, but he had reassured her multiple times he was fine after that. Ochako wasn't one to overthink things like that, at least that's what he thought.

He exhaled heavily, staring at the ceiling for a few moments more before suddenly sitting up, and idea popping into his head.

Even if I can't figure out what's going on, he thought, looking over at his desk. That doesn't mean I can't help her feel better.

Jumping out of bed, he instantly got to work. From somewhere around the house, he found a spare cardboard box. With marker, he colored it pink... though that didn't turn out so well. He groaned, though he didn't do anything to fix it. He was sure Ochako wouldn't mind a few mess ups here and there.

Quickly, he went to the kitchen and grabbed some snacks that he knew she liked, as well as a few spare candies. Neatly placing them in the box, he also wrapped up some colorful writing pens in yarn to put next to the food.

Girls like pens right? Ugh, how should I know what she likes aside from her snacks-

His thinking stopped as he remembered something she had once mentioned to him. It had been a rainy day, and they had hung out in his room for studying. When they were chatting about random things, Ochako had said, "Did you know I really like reading, Deku?"

Surprised, Deku had turned towards her. "Really? I didn't know that. What kinds of books?"

"Oh, you know," she had said, twisting her hair with her finger in an almost nervous manner. "Adventure books, fantasy... uhm... romance."

As the memory faded, Izuku quickly ran out of his room, rushing over to his mom, who was watching TV on the couch. She had been watching him run in and out of his room multiple times, so no wonder why she had an amused expression on.

"Yes, sweetheart?"

"Do you have any romance books you don't care about anymore?" Izuku asked bluntly. Inko was surprised at the question.

"Oh? I didn't know you were into that kind of stuff, Izuku," she teased.

"I-no... mom!" Deku whined, turning his head away. "I-it's... it's for a friend."

"A girlfriend?"

"No!... well... she is a girl-..."

"And is she your girlfriend?" His mother asked, amused.

"Mom-.."

Inko laughed, standing before reaching out to ruffle his hair. "I'm just teasing you sweetheart. Come, I have the perfect book."

Together, they went to her room, where Inko picked through her small library. "Ah, here it is," she grinned, pulling an average length book from the shelves, before handing it to her son.