Chapter One: Sixteen Summers

The sun casted it's eyes through the dark blue curtains of the single, bedroom window. It was warm, and if it had any sort of texture, soft. Against your skin, it was almost like a gentle kiss, and it made you feel at ease. With every single breath you inhaled, you could taste the cool breeze just on the tip of your tongue. It was already the tenth day of summer, and better yet, it was your sixteenth birthday.

Just thinking about it made your skin crawl with excitement as you curled up in the bedsheets, a smile creeping across your face. Finally. The day is here. You've always enjoyed having a summer birthday, since school wasn't involved or getting in the way. It just...sucked not getting to do too much for it. No parties, not too many presents, everything small and between you and your Dad. Even then, you loved it. This day was exceptionally special, but you knew better than to expect anything more than your favorite cake he was fairly decent at making and maybe a nicknack or two from his workshop. It was the same old, same old, however, you didn't seem to mind all that much. You opened your eyes a little, looking toward the sun rays as they sank their way into the room. Your pupils gazed from one corner of the room to the next, recognizing every little part of the bedroom you've been seeing everyday of your life since you were four. The nightstand had your phone attached to its charger, an empty, red, plastic cup, and a picture of you and your mother and father the day you were born. The picture was sorta dusty, at least that's what it looked like in the light of the sun. You scrunched your nose before lifting your head up and blowing toward the old photo. You huffed at the particles that flew off the frame and glass. I guess I need to do some dusting. It has been a month since I've dusted last. Your house was already fairly small and a bit unmanaged in some places, but your room was not one of them. A little dust never hurt, but boy does it mess with my sinuses later on, you thought. With a tired sigh, you slowly started to push yourself straight up in bed. You heard your back crackle, your bones repositioning after you've been laying for so long. You smiled, the feeling was refreshing. You lifted a hand, holding your head as your eyes blurred with a following head rush. Biting your lip, you waited for the rush to dissipate, then opened them again to look at the room around you.

The desk on the other side of the room, where it sat in the corner, was relatively organized: paper stacked in a corner and a few books were neatly leaned up against the wall. In all the spare time of being home, you couldn't help but find yourself lost in a book every now and again. The stack of novels from fiction to nonfiction were already finished, and their stories were deep in your mind. Though, you haven't had a new book in quite some time, and those you read were finished a while ago. A new story wouldn't be that bad with the long summer ahead. Hell, anything new would be better than staying in your house and sleeping half the day away. You tossed your legs over the edge of the bed, your toes wiggling in search of your house shoes that sat patiently nearby. You feet wriggled themselves into them, feeling the cozy leftover fluff between your toes. You stood up and gave another stretch, feeling your body tense for a moment or two before relaxing again. You turned to your nightstand and picked up your cell phone. 12:37 PM. Yikes. "I've been asleep all morning," you mumbled, but your face didn't seem all that surprised. Since school let out you've been sleeping in every day as if it were the weekend. It sure felt like the weekend.

You sighed and shrugged, setting the phone down and heading toward the closet. You made a pit stop at the short, little dresser at the end of your bed, grabbing a hairbrush that rested on its surface. You didn't consider having bed hair too much, but there were days where it was unbearably tangled and messy. You gently ran the bristled brush against your locks, hoping to pull the rats from their nests. You smiled, taking a deep breath. Today was going to be fun and interesting, of course, in its own way. You sure weren't expecting your first ever car ride in a new vehicle of your own. You sighed as you closed your eyes, thinking about the day you would get your own car. It would have to be the day you got a job and long gone from school, probably. You were finally sixteen, yet somewhat unfortunate in comparison to other's who reached that milestone age. You set the hairbrush down on the bed before opening the closet doors to get you something casual to wear for the day. You hated believing you were unfortunate in comparison to others, and would rather consider yourself very fortunate to have what you had: a loving father who cared for you the best he could, food on the table whenever you were hungry, and of course a house to keep you warm and safe. There's not much better than that when you don't have much to start from, anyway.