Chapter One: Preview

You tossed your legs over the edge of the bed, your toes wiggling in search of your house shoes that sat patiently nearby. You feet wriggled themselves into them, feeling the cozy leftover fluff between your toes. You stood up and gave another stretch, feeling your body tense for a moment or two before relaxing again. You turned to your nightstand and picked up your cell phone. 12:37 PM. Yikes. "I've been asleep all morning," you mumbled, but your face didn't seem all that surprised. Since school let out you've been sleeping in every day as if it were the weekend. It sure felt like the weekend.

You sighed and shrugged, setting the phone down and heading toward the closet. You made a pit stop at the short, little dresser at the end of your bed, grabbing a hairbrush that rested on its surface. You didn't consider having bed hair too much, but there were days where it was unbearably tangled and messy. You gently ran the bristled brush against your locks, hoping to pull the rats from their nests. You smiled, taking a deep breath. Today was going to be fun and interesting, of course, in its own way. You sure weren't expecting your first ever car ride in a new vehicle of your own. You sighed as you closed your eyes, thinking about the day you would get your own car. It would have to be the day you got a job and long gone from school, probably. You were finally sixteen, yet somewhat unfortunate in comparison to other's who reached that milestone age. You set the hairbrush down on the bed before opening the closet doors to get you something casual to wear for the day. You hated believing you were unfortunate in comparison to others, and would rather consider yourself very fortunate to have what you had: a loving father who cared for you the best he could, food on the table whenever you were hungry, and of course a house to keep you warm and safe. There's not much better than that when you don't have much to start from, anyway.

You picked out your favorite hoodie, pants, and even just a simple shirt for the time being. You pulled your clothes front he closet and closed it behind you, making your way back to the bed to layout the clothes you chose. You sighed softly, rubbing your eyes again to wake yourself up. Sleeping in always had its benefits and doubts, after all. You sighed and threw your pajamas off, leaving them unfolded on the bed. You grabbed your jeans first and shimmied your way into them, then the shirt went on next. You situated the tee with no trouble, of course, then grabbed your hoodie and pressed it over your head, making sure it fit nice and snug. You never really went outside, even if it was summer. It just wasn't worth the time if you didn't really have anyone to spend that time with in the sun. The house was kept cool 24/7 at your father's request. He worked so much during his free time in the workshop that he came back in the house sweating buckets. You remember offering him a wet rag a few times because of how sweaty and hot he had been. You wore your hoodie inside to help keep you at a nice, warm temperature even with the air on full blast.

You brushed yourself off, smiling at how comfortable you felt, but that may have just been your mind tricking you since it was your birthday. You opened your bedroom door and peered into the hallway, looking back and forth to see if your father was nearby. It wasn't to your surprise that he was no where to be seen. It was the afternoon, meaning he likely was working still or you were going to find him in his workshop. "I wonder what he's doing, probably still working on that silly car engine to sell." You shrugged in response, before hugging your hands to your stomach inside your hoodie pockets. You stepped out and walked down the hall toward the small kitchen and living room that made up the rest of the house. You looked around some more, not caring to call out to your dad wherever he was. You began to contemplate what you would eat at this time a day. Corn dogs? Maybe not that. Mac'n'Cheese? No, No. You entered the kitchen and grabbed the handle to the fridge, opening it up as you looked around the shelves curiously. You held your chin, squinting. "Cereal doesn't sound too bad, honestly. Oh—is that leftover lasagna?" You smiled happily, reaching into the fridge to pull out the small pan covered in plastic wrap. You held it in front of you, licking your lips a little. Your dad always did make a good lasagna, and it made you even more excited to find the leftovers still good in the fridge. You closed the fridge doors and walked to the microwave sitting nearby on the countertop. You popped open the microwave door, slowly putting the lasagna, now sitting on a plastic plate, into the metal box. You set the timer to three minutes and let the heating device do its thing. You sighed, holding your neck as you turned away to view the living room across the house. You smiled, seeing how nice and tidy it was. It had been rough trying to keep it clean recently, since Dad had all his work spread out in the room at the time. He was very busy the last week or so, probably because he wanted to do more for your birthday. But, you couldn't guarantee that. He could of just been doing more because he could leave you at home all safe and sound, knowing the house would be in good hands with you there. Your father was a bit predictable, while at the same time, always had some surprise up his sleeve. Maybe today will be just that. A surprise up his sleeve.