Chapter Four: A Killer Friend

You couldn't sleep. It was never longer than a couple of hours. You'd wake up, again and again, feeling his eerie stare watching you from above. You not once did you turn to face it and look back, and you stayed curled up like a weak animal. You were still grasping the fact that you were trapped inside a robot bear, one that had an obvious history with killing children and probably other people you'd assume. You were next on his list, apparently, and on your birthday, too. You closed your eyes tighter than before. I will die on my birthday...imagine that. You shuddered and slowly reached for your arms, holding them a bit more. The air around you was indeed being ventilated, but in another sense, it felt like it was the air this "Freddy" was breathing. You shook your head, telling your mind to stay back from that idea for the sake of your own sanity. You sighed weakly. Why me? What do I deserve to die for? I've done nothing but appreciate my father, clean the house, make dinner and be there for him. What more could I do? That was definitely a question for whatever waited for you on the other side of life. But, the question was so easily answerable, to you at least. What if you asked him? No, don't be stupid! He's an animatronic thing, he's not going to answer that question, especially that! Yet, it wouldn't hurt to try, you thought after a moment. Maybe you could convince him that it was wrong to kill an innocent. Better yet, you could coax him into being nicer on his own. Either way, it was a long shot and a shot you believe you'd miss no matter what route you took.

You slowly sat up, holding your neck and rubbing it gently. You preferred the comfort of your bed over the metal floor no doubt because it left you with too many pains in your upper and lower back. You groaned weakly.

"Awake again, already? You've slept only an hour this time," he giggled and teased, knowing his voice was getting on your nerves. He liked doing it, of course, because it made you more entertaining for him. "What's the worry now? Dying I assume, just like before..." he giggled.

You rolled your eyes and growled, annoyed with him. You sighed shakily, looking down as you mumbled. "So, Freddy right? Can you...tell me something?"

Freddy's gears clicked, "Suuuuure, what about," he snickered as his eyes squinted. "Surely maybe it's something about how you choose to die? Please let it be! Those questions always get my gears rolling!" He cackled.

You huffed and shook your head. Ignore it just a little more. "Why me?" You asked after a moment, humming after you asked. Please, please give me a good answer...

"Come again?" Freddy hummed quietly and his eyes squinted more.

You turned around to look at him, as afraid as you were. You stared at the crystal blue orbs that looked down on you. "Why do I have to die?" you asked, hoping your question was a bit more clear for the bear to understand. You squinted.

Freddy's eyes widened a little. His body hummed around you, reflecting his thinking. "Well..." he looked to the side, then back down. "That's a rather familiar question I hear from everyone, yet...you say it so awkwardly," he muttered. "And I can't exactly say why."

"Why can't you?"

Freddy snorted. "I don't have any particular reason, kid," he huffed as he giggled. "Maybe I just want to kill you! For fun! That's how I've always done it, though others had some bad things about them that made it more interesting, and I was punishing the person..." he mumbled again, just trailing off on his own thought.

You gritted your teeth. You didn't want to believe that half-assed response. "Freddy, what real reason would you kill me for? Have I ever done wrong?"

Freddy looked at you as you broke him away from reminiscing his past killing experiences. "You're asking some pretty detailed and stupid questions, missy," he mumbled, a little annoyed. "I don't really want to answer them...!"