chapter 7

CHARLOTTE BLARAKO

july 7th, 1963
tulsa oklahoma

i knocked on bucks door and took a step back, awaiting an answer. i was scared. i'm not scared of dallas, i'm just afraid he's gonna be really upset with me. sooner or later the door flew open, and there stood buck.

"what do ya want, kid?" he leaned against the frame of the door cooly.

"i need to talk to dallas." i seemed to shrivel up under him, i felt small and weak.

"upstairs to the right." he let me in and i quickly thanked him, walking upstairs. i knocked on the door and he answered it.

"if you're here to scold me for calling you a bitch, i'm not home." he said nonchalantly.

"i wanted to apologize." i looked down at my shoes and held back the tears. i don't know why, but i hate apologizing. i can't explain the feeling i get.

"there's nothing to apologize for. i shouldn't have called ya that." he lifted his hand in a quick motion and i flinched.

"calm down, will ya kid? i wasn't gonna hurt you." he sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. "you remind me of johnny, man."

i smiled at that and blushed a bit. "speaking of johnny, i have a statement." i stood tall with a new found mock confidence and a smile, and he chuckled.

"i like johnny."

"i know, you told me this already. besides, i can tell by the way you hold the kid." he chuckled once more and ruffled my hair.

"awe sugar, just quit it won't ya? how can i get him to like me?" i asked.

"he already does." he smirked.

"how do you know?" i furrowed my eyes brows a bit and my heart started racing.

"he told me, and it's pretty obvious. why don't you go talk to him, man?" he said, pushing me away from the door. "go get him tiger!" he yelled, laughing when i flinched and ran down the stairs.

————

i decided to go home before i went to visit johnny. i needed to apologize to my mom and my dad, and i needed to change.

i opened the door and my dad was knocked out on the couch, of course.

"mom?" i whisper yelled. she scurried out of the kitchen and wrapped me in a hug. i hesitated but wrapped my arms around her for a moment before pulling away.

"i'm sorry for disrespecting you." i sighed. she gave me a sad smile.

"it's okay, i should have known what was going on. but i can't leave him." her face turned stone cold and the rage once returned. before i said anything stupid, i went up to my bathroom and took a shower.

her outfit <3

her outfit <3

i grabbed my overnight bag and my sketchbook and hurried downstairs and out the door. it was around 5pm, so i jogged to the curtis house.

"hey y'all!" i smiled cheerfully, opening the door.

"hey char, you look hot!" steve yelled. johnny smacked him on the back of the head before getting up and giving me a hug. well, i was the one giving the hug because i was a lot shorter than him. the gang cheered and i just rolled my eyes and plopped down on the couch.

"we were just gonna watch a movie char, you gonna stick around for it?" soda asked me. i nodded.

"what movie?"

"it's some scary movie." pony said grumpily. i shot a worried look at johnny and he laughed.

"you'll be okay." he shot me a reassuring smile.

————
JOHNNY CADE

the movie started and honestly, it wasn't that scary yet. i sat close to charlotte on the ground in front of the couch, and the rest of the gang sat near us. scary music started playing in the background and she grabbed my hand frantically. i squeezed it and looked over at her. she looked terrified. i wrapped an arm around her and held her.

a monster popped up onto the screen, and charlotte and two-bit shrieked. i laughed and held her closer, and she buried her face in the crook of my neck to hide.

"char you're missing the scary parts!" dal laughed and pointed at her.

"that's the point, you doofus!" she wrapped her legs around my waist and snuggled closer to avoid watching the movie.

————

the movie was finally over and at this point charlotte had fallen asleep.

"char, wake up." i whispered, stroking her hair lightly.

"nooo," she whined, somehow snuggling closer to me than she already was. ponyboy laughed at her and started hitting her lightly with a pillow.

"stop it, horse boy!" she yelled drowsily. she was still half asleep, and it was the cutest thing ever.

"do you wanna stay here or go to the lot?" i asked.

"let's go to the lot." she said, standing up and stretching. she said goodbye to pony and we walked to the lot, watching the sun go down.