chapter 7 ♣ Pleasure or Pain

"Forgive me father for I have sinned. Um... I haven't really had a confession in a long while so...Anyways, I did something I shouldn't have. I knew it was wrong, but I just could not stop myself. I ...slept with my boss. It was fast and amazing and exciting and thinking back now, I know it was wrong. It was very wrong" Kayla said, listening to the Reverend as he spoke up, and two hours later, she left the chapel feeling better, light-hearted and ready to begin her day.

How had she gotten to this point? She slightly wondered. She was willing to sleep with the boss just to belong? Is that really the kind of person she was now? She well understood that it was just a spur of the moment and only happened only once. But she was determined to not let it happen again, and not make it a habit of sleeping with Nonso. She may be fearless, be a bitch sometimes, a snob, heck! A very crazy, derange bitch...sometimes, but if there was one thing she feared, it was falling in love. She didn't want to start falling for dance teacher. And oh yeah, she feared God as well. She didn't go to church or do any good works, as a matter of fact, she didn't really believe doing so would magically make her go to heaven. She also didn't pray or praise God like her roommate Franca did every morning, but she knew there was a God out there who watched over her, who she was hoping understood her...her actions. She however knew when she had crossed a line, and sleeping with Nonso had definitely topped the cake.

When the load got too heavy on her shoulders... on her heart, she once in a while came to the chapel to lay it all off. Manda was coming back home to Nigeria, any minute now. She had also told the Reverend that.

After four weeks, she was going to walk majestically back, thinking her role would be given to her on a platter, like a hot piece of cake. Well, newsflash! She was terribly wrong. She, Kayla, had had to push herself to the extreme to be better than Manda, dancing fifteen hours everyday nonstop, quitted her job. She had given it her all, knowing this was their big break. They were going to win this. She had even had to change her style of dancing. Personality was everything when dancing for a role like that of Juliet's; and she well understood that only someone with Manda's personality could perfectly pull the role of Juliet off, and she Kayla had to change her style, until she became like Manda...eventually better than her.

She was no longer the ice queen. Nonso had said he didn't want her to change herself, change her personality, but she'd ended up doing both because she, Kayla played to win.

Although Nonso had added an extra scene to the dance technique. A scene he'd personally orchestrated for just both of them....that night. The ice queen. And it was perfect! Suited her personality.... Sorry, formal personality just fine, and she was greedy enough to want both role.

What dancer in their lifetime got to dance both roles at the same time? Hot and cold? Juliet and Ice Queen, soft and hard? She was escatic!

Lisa walked into Delorez clinic where she worked, except this time, she didn't go straight to her office like she normally did.

"Good morning Doc"

"Good morning Doc Lisa"

"How was your night Doctor?"

The same people greeted her the exact same way and like an orthodox robot, she automatically replied the same thing she always replied every morning

"How's your wife Gabe? Has she given birth yet?"

"How's the new apartment going Frank?"

"Good morning to you too Gabby?"

"Rita how's your husband?"

God! She slightly wondered if this was the way the rest part of her life was going to play out. The routine greetings. The routine job. The routine husband. Everything around her seemed to be going over the same things over and over again, like an oscillatory movement and she was the only one who wanted to move forward.