Chapter 12

An explosion of black-and-white striped pelts burst, hissing streams of malice and yowls of war at the Clan cats. A flash of gray fur blocked Losthope's vision, growling. Already cats and badgers threw themselves heartlessly at each other, claws unsheathed.

"Lostityhope!" Thunderblaze cried as a badger bombarded the dark ginger she-cat from the side. Familiar pain blossomed across her side but quickly stopped as the badger was thrown off her by Thunderblaze. 

"Thanks, but I can fight for myself." Losthope growled as she latched herself onto the bager's striped back. Then, suddenly, a sharp pain shot through her stomach first, then rippled through her whole body.

Oh, No! She fell to the ground weakly. The kits...if I die... 

"Th-Thunderbutt!" She stared up at him, who gazed down at her for a split-second in the chaos around them. "I-I can't fight!" 

He glared at her quizzically. "Losthope! C'mon. You're the bravest cat I know. I think you can get through some of the missing-paw pains by now, at least." He threw off a tiny badger. "I'll help you."

"I-It's not that." She panted, in short, painful breaths. "C-Can we get to a shelter?"

The kits shouldn't be due for another two moons...right? 

Losthope looked down in fright at her kind of swollen stomach. 

Maybe I have been expecting for a while...just Fawnpaw didn't tell me until now ...

Thunderblaze huffed and grabbed her scruff. "Sorry..." He mumbled through her fur as he stumbled over a branch. The world broke into triangles of shadows and light under the arms of a pine tree.

The fluffy tabby swished his tail around his mate. "What's wrong?" Thunderblaze asked kindly.

"N-Nothing's wrong," Losthope muttered. I hope... "I...I'm, uh, expecting kits. Your kits." She blushed.

"Really?" Thunderblaze broke into a purr. "Wow. That's just...great, Lostityhope. Is that why you seemed...in pain, fighting?" 

She nodded. "I-I think..."

"Sorry I didn't listen to you the first time. I've been a butt."

"You have." She gave a mrrow of laughter. "And a very thundery one too, Thunderbutt." 

He cuffed gently. "Hey!" He purred. "Now, since there wasn't that much badgers, and you're expecting soon..."

"Soon?" Losthope growled. "How do you know? I'm fine!"

"No, you're not. Once the Clan drives the badgers out, I'm taking you straight to Mintpaw." He replied firmly, pulling her up. "I can't lose you...like I lost Splashstream." 

"Yeah. "

Splashstream. I would have given anything for her to be back, so Thunderblaze could be happy... 

Silence followed them like a dark cloud out of the knot of pines and into the hollow. Thunderblaze had been right - no cats seemed badly injured, and all the badgers had fled: the bracken border had been broken because of it.

"Mintpaw!" yowled Thunderblaze, half-running, half-dragging a reluctant Losthope along with him. "She's expecting kits," He panted, then stuck out his chest proudly. "My kits."

"Your kits?" The medicine cat's gaze glinted with shards of jealousy. "Okay. I'll check her to see when they'll be due." She muttered, forcing Losthope down. 

A moon and a half, according to Mintpaw. Losthope glanced solemnly out of her nest in the bustling nursery. More like prison. She growled softly at the wait, but looking at the two of Parrotfur's kits leaping on each other, and on everyone's tail, she couldn't stay mad.