Chapter 15

Like much of the painful crap that has happened in Losthope's life, the battle was bloody and blurred and the she-cat didn't remember much but the pure fury she felt towards ThunderClan.

Her kits tucked, safe and warm, in the nursery, gave her the hope to keep fighting, for them, so they could remember their kithood this way, and not have it shadowed by ThunderClan blood, the blood spilled on the ground and coating her paws. At least not much of it's mine... She shuddered and pushed away her thoughts.

It was night and it was cold and once again filled with the reassuring scent of ShadowClan, and ShadowClan only. A moon that was like a thorn gingerly poked dim light on the exhausted cats. Losthope began to lick a wound on one of her back legs when a paw prodded her side.

"Losthope?" A soft voice mewed.

Hi, there. "Yup, Heatherfrost?" She cocked her head at the shadowy she-cat. "My kits are fine, right?"

"Safe and sound. But that's not why I'm here. It's Raggedstar." Heatherfrost meowed carefully, her words soft in the night. "She's, um, dead."

What? Losthope's heart froze. "I knew she needed nine lives," she whispered. "She didn't listen."

Heatherfrost gently pulled Losthope up. "I don't think anyone could've prevented this from happening," she mewed. "Don't blame it on y-"

"I'm going to go grieve for her." Losthope interrupted quietly, her paws numb as she padded to a knot of ShadowClan scents, pushing the echoes of Raggedstar's words to hers away like Losthope was doing to her clanmates, weaving forward and emerging in solemnness.

The tiny ex-apprentice was stormed in fuzzy-remembered emotions.

She knew she had thought Raggedstar had been harsh to her, but gazing at the tabby she-cat all she could remember how Raggedstar had only pushed her to do her best in every thing.

She only remembered how noble and courageous the leader had been, her rule was strict but she was respected. No cat could've helped me more... 

"Raggedstar..." She buried her face in the tabby pelt, breathing its piney scent, feeling it's still, frozen warmth. 

Frozendrop...

Fawnfur...

Tumblefoot...

Splashstream... 

The warrior turned, pooled in her remorse.

"It should have been me."