part three

listen to "Une barque sur l'océan from Miroirs" on repeat for a better experience while reading.
-
part three

I run down the hall, tears brimming my eyes. When I make it to Bella and Zayn's room, I see my mother standing there in the hall. "Mother, can I go in?" I ask her in a panic.

"No, not yet." She says.

"I don't understand. As kids, we used to run down the stairs with our eyes closed... How could she have hurt herself so?"

"It was an accident. Don't look for someone to blame." My mother says sternly.

My brother, leaning against the door frame, blows a puff of cigar smoke into the air and scoffs.

"Niall, will you please take this seriously? Bella could lose the baby." I say, fresh tears surfacing. "What could possibly be funny?"

He smirks. "I'm just picturing her falling down the stairs."

I can't believe him.

He starts acting as if he were tumbling down the stairs, his arms flailing around.

My mother gives him a sharp look.

"Sorry," He apologizes quickly, but I can tell he doesn't mean it.

Leonardo appears at my side. "We're lucky Doctor Lopez is staying with us. Everything will be fine. We'll keep you informed." He says, placing a reassuring hand on my forearm.

After what feels like hours, the doctor opens the door to the bedroom.  Not wasting a moment, I quickly ask: "Doctor, how is she?"

"I have to examine her, I'll tell you when I'm done." He says in a clipped tone.

My mother moves to enter the room and I motion to join her.

The doctor puts a hand up to stop me after my mother has crossed the threshold. "I'm afraid not."

My anxiety rises. I want to make sure she's okay; I want to see her.

"Do as the doctor says, go. You all can wait in my room." My mother says.

"Mother, please..." I plead but she doesn't listen.

"The doctor needs to attend to your sister. Let's let him do his work."

The rigid, stern look in her eyes is more than enough for me to hold my tongue, though reluctantly.

The doctor closes the door in my face, and I turn, leaning against the frame.

I stand at the doorway for a while, trying to gather my thoughts. I take a deep breath. My pregnant sister has just fallen down the stairs, and she's very injured. I could lose my future nephew.

"Emilia, are you okay?" Leonardo's voice startles me.

I turn and look him in the eyes. "Yes, I'm going to my mother's room."

"You know where I'll be." He smiles, placing his hands on my shoulders.

I can't help glancing down. "Thank you, Leon; Really."

I appreciate his concern. Leon is a good man, he deserves to marry someone who truly loves him. I just can't see myself as that woman.

"With God's will, we too will soon be a family, though I already consider you as such." He lifts a finger to my chin and tilts my face up to his as I swallow the bile in my throat.

Thankfully, they call him into the room and he leaves me.

I walk down the hall to get to my mother's room. Just before my hand can grasp the handle, another voice interrupts my thoughts.