Nine: The Unclaimed Wyldes

Slap. Schula smacked her arm, scowling at whatever bug had bitten her this time. 

"I am growing so tired of the pests in these woods," the white fae grumbled. 

"Sorry," I said. "If I had a few more ingredients I could try to brew something to keep them away."

She sighed and waved my concerns away. "We'll reach the Autumn lands soon enough. These pests mostly dwell in the Spring and Summer courts."

"And the unclaimed Wyldes, apparently," Spaulder mused. "Thain, how far should we still travel today before setting up camp?"

Thian, who lead the front of our marching order, paused to look up to the sky. "Not long, I don't want us to be making much noise after sundown."

I nodded gravely. My first treck through the unclaimed parts of the Wyldes was a memory of constant fright and alarm. And for good reason, the things that dwell where the four courts don't go... they aren't pleasant. 

"Ahead, do you see those rocks?" Spaulder asked from the back of the line.

I squinted to see what he was talking about.

"I do, a solid wall for our backs. We camp there," Thain answered. 

With that settled, we marched until we reached a set of rocks that rose from the ground and provided enough shelter to one side that they would be a safe resting place. Or at least as safe as any rest the unclaimed Wyldes could hold. 

I was glad to rest my feet when we finally set down our packs. With a deep sigh, Schula began pulling food from one of the last bags that held it. 

"We should have grabbed more before we left the outpost," Schula sighed.

"We should have kept that elk," Spaulder said with a short laugh. 

"We can hunt here if we need to," Thain said. 

"I don't like the idea of hunting in these parts of the Wyldes," Schula said. "How many days to Eberon's lands?"

"A while, if we have to go between the courts," Thain said. "We'll be weaving around most of the Summer lands at this rate."

I sighed and pulled Lark's book from my bag. At least I could get some reading done before the light was gone completely. Then I paused to take a wrapped spiced vegetable mix we had left from Sulls. Probably the last one, and it was very stale. 

"Caw!" Puko pestered me for some of my meal. I was happy to share for once. 

A fire was put together for now, but we would have to put it out when night fell. With all of our sleeping mats and blankets pulled out, we were as comfortable as we could be. Settling in with food and whatever else occupied us, I slowly flipped the pages of Lark's book. I must have read it a dozen times through by now. The way she saw magic was so interesting. 

I found a bottom corner and turned another page, admiring her drawing of an herb used in calming teas, when Schula spoke up. 

"Is everything alright, Nassir?" Schula asked softly. "You've been particularly quiet."

I set the book down in my lap and looked up. Nassir was sitting on his mat at the edge of our camping space, looking off into the dark trees around us. 

"I am thinking on Teyber's words," Nassir said, turning to face Schula. "My heart still aches for Lark. I imagine it forever will."

"Teyber's words... the warlock," Schula said sadly. 

Nassir turned away again, staring into the depths of the woods once more. "I do not even know if the fiend still lives. I have so little to go on and yet, I can't stop thinking about it."