Eighteen: Autumn Horizons

There was an air of melancholy that followed us through the grounds as we gathered our belongings and left. Eberon seemed particularly upset to be leaving his mother to deal with the state of their home by herself. I could understand his distress, but after having met Yevaron myself I knew she would be more than fine handling things on her own. I just prayed no more attacks came until she could get things back in order.

And really, I can't say I was upset to be leaving the whispers behind. The damned whispers that followed me everywhere. First, it was the humans, whispering that I was half fae. Then it was the Wyldes whispering that I was the found youth. Then it was the Aoyi'ka in the desert, Lark's daughter in the valley of the witches, and in Eidelhein I was Kalor's daughter.

And now I'm the Wylde witch.

I packed my things in a sour disposition, keeping to the room Thain and I were supposed to share since I could hear the murmurs if I left it. I packed Thain's few things while I was there since he was still out chasing down what he could of the fleeing Winter army.

With a huff, I stuffed my last pouch into my bag and closed it. A hard knock at my door startled me and I jumped. Soon after, the door swung open and Uldur came in with one of the females that had accompanied him in the main house. The maple dryad.

"We leave shortly from the north lawn," Uldur said. "Do you require any assistance?"

I sighed, shaking my head. "I think I have everything."

Then I bit my lip, looking out the window. "We're waiting for all of the warriors who are still out, right?"

He nodded curtly. "We are, they are being rounded up now."

I smiled, relieved. 

"Heyra will accompany you at all times as we travel," Uldur continued. "In the event that we are separated or we find ourselves under attack, Heyra will get you back to Thanantholl where we will convene and meet the king."

I raised an eyebrow. "You think we are going to be attacked?"

"No, not as we draw deeper into the Autumn lands, but I don't take my job lightly. Every possibility must be accounted for," Uldur answered.

I studied him a moment. I knew at first that he was likely glamoured, but I didn't pay him much more attention than that. He was certainly big, but most of the fighting males in the Wyldes were. He kept his auburn hair short, and his red eyes under a firmly set face of duty. He kept his clothes practical and his tone short and firm. Unlike when I met him earlier, he now had on a breastplate.

This was going to be a very long trip to Thanantholl.

Pursing my lips, I moved my gaze to Heyra. She stood very tall, with calm yellow eyes. Most dryads I met had been rather mellow characters. Hopefully, Heyra would be the same. 

"It's nice to meet you," I said to them, then turned back to Uldur. "I'll be down shortly."

He gave me one more firm nod, then left as abruptly as he had come. 

With a blank expression, Heyra took a position near the door, just watching me. 

Great. 

I arranged all of the bags I was in charge of and decided how to carry them. I had my bag of belongings, my bag of witchcraft supplies, and the bag that Thain had been carrying. Once I had them to where I could take them without much trouble, I stood and faced Heyra.

"I'm ready, we can go now," I said. 

Heyra opened the door for me silently and we went down the stairs. They stopped at the bottom of the steps, facing down the hallway where Schula, Nassir, and Spaulder were gathering their own things.