Thirty: On The Ground

Spaulder landed well away from Thanantholl.

He did it for more than one reason. First, he was exhausted. He wouldn't admit it, but he was not ready to have shifted and fought, let alone flown us out of there. I feared whatever progress he had made in the smaller form to conserve his strength and build his muscles back up after captivity was set back. 

Second, the people of Thanantholl did not know about him being a dragon, and the only witnesses to Baeleon's acceptance of him were either dead on the battlefield or so far behind us that it might take days to confirm our story.

And while Spaulder had cause to be more tired than the rest of us, we were tired as well. There was very little sleep to be had on the back of a dragon, and we stopped very little between the distant battlefield and the Autumn city.

So, as his massive claws touched down safely onto Autumn soil, I slid down and laid on his back with a sigh. Puko took to the skies, flying in the direction of Thanantholl and presumably to Wairen at Thain's house. Probably to beg for cherries, the cheeky feind.

"Traitor," I mumbled, watching him go.

Eberon slid down Spaulder's black scales as the dragon moved an arm to assist him. "You can take your time coming to the gates. I have business to attend to straight away, and I can warn the guards of Spaulder so they don't harass you when you get there."

I sat up, looking down to the golden fae, all the sorrow in the world on his shoulders sat as a sobering reminder of what we left behind us.

"I'm coming with you," Thian said, jumping down from Spaulder's side and managing to land on his feet, light as a cat.

"You don't have to," Eberon said, reaching out to squeeze his triquetram's arm. "You're still in rough shape."

Thain brushed Eberon's hand away. "I'm coming."

Even from up on Spaulder's back, I could see the look on Thain's face that left no room for arguing. My eyes drifted to the golden leaf decoration he cuffed on his long, pointed ear. I wondered for the dozenth time what significance it held for Thain, but he'd tell me when he was ready.

"Let's get our things down," Schula said just loud enough for Nassir and me to hear.

"Alirght," I said, sliding a strap over my shoulder then pausing. "Spaulder, I hadn't thought to offer until now but do you need me to try that spell again? We can get you a smaller body if you want."

'No, little witch,' Spaulder's answer rang in my head. 'I will do better to finish my recovery as I am. There is only so much energy I can store up in that little form, and now what I really need is to build my muscles up once more.'

I nodded. "Alright, just let me know what I can do to help you."

Sliding down, I stood on solid earth again and swayed. It was oddly solid after hours spent gliding through the skies over the Wyldes. As my legs tried their best to adjust to the newly solid ground beneath me, Schula and Nassir passed me down the other things so I could set them down before they claimed to join me and let Spaulder finally be free of us on his back.

I saw Thain and Eberon speaking in a quiet rush, occasionally pointing or glancine at either us or the direction of Thanantholl. Once I had settled everything on the ground, I went over to see what was going on.

"-Can't just call them together and give the news while demanding they form a new army in the same breath!" Eberon huffed.

"Do you think DuVarick is going to leave the trail cold? Turn around and hole up in Icehold again?" Thain demanded. "The magic itself is already unwinding. If we don't defend it soon, there won't be an Autumn land to defend."