Thirty Two: Morning Secrets

I slept like the dead.

Something I always did after using quite a bit of magic, but this time it was delayed by days of unrestful flight from the battlefield. Putting off any true sleep had just exacerbated the problem until I was finally given the chance to enter Thain's house where I practically collapsed in the first chair I saw.

Just for a moment to rest my eyes before trudging up the stairs. 

Sleeping so heavily it's no wonder I forgot what happened after that.

My eyes opened to a dimly lit room. I slept through the afternoon and well into the night, if not the early morning. I lay on a soft bed, surrounded by a smokey, earthy, masculine scent. This was not my bed, but I'd been here before...

My eyes popped open and I sat up in the bed. Thain was sitting in his armchair again, though this time he was slumped forward and laying his head on his arms on the edge of the mattress.

Thain must have brought me up here.

A smile played on my lips as I reached forward, brushing aside a lock of dark hair to get a better look at his face. In sleep it was so peaceful. But it didn't take long for him to stir, the strain of the past few days settling back into his features as he did so.

I pulled my hand back and watched as Thain sat up in his chair. Bleary eyed and still holding so much sorrow on his shoulders, he faced me with those deep silver eyes.

"Good morning," I said softly. 

His eyes flicked to the edges of his curtains where the light filtered in golden slivers. "No alarm yet."

I frowned. That was his first worry as he woke up. It suddenly hit me that Baeleon relied on Thain to be his hand away from Thanantholl. How many battles had my midnight fae been in? How many orders carried out, and people defended? With Baeleon gone, it didn't seem Thain knew what to do other than continue to throw himself into the role of the beast he had carried his whole life. 

"Thain," I murmured, reaching out to hold his hand. "Whatever happens after this battle, whenever we find peace for the Wyldes and a new royal is crowned to the court, what will you do?"

His brows raised, he held my hand a little tighter. "My role to this court hasn't changed. I am a weapon of the Autumn court, I will continue to do my duties, no matter who... who sits in the palace."

His throat bobbed as he swallowed the sour words and my eyes traced the movement of it. With a sigh, I scooted across the bed and swung my legs over the side. Thain moved and we were now facing each other. So close our knees touched. 

"Thain," I started slowly, picking my words carefully. "When I lost Bryn, my world was turned upsdie down."

He didn't move a muscle, but I could tell he was listening intently.

"I was lost without him, because he was my whole identity. I was never my own person back in the mountains. I was Brynn's daughter at best and the half-breed at worst. I lived happily in Brynn's shadow, never leaving the safety of it."

My eyes flicked between Thain's, waiting for any kind of reaction. He gave nothing, but he wasn't moving away either.

I took a breath, holding both of his hands before continuing. "I'm not saying that's how it is with you and Baeleon. I can't even wrap my head around what you two have been through together. But I just want you to know that I know your loss. I feel your pain. And I'm here for you if you need me."

Thain remained quiet, but his expression softened. He moved his hands out of mine and reached for my waist, pulling me close to him in a tight hug.