Chapter 23

Hey guys! Soooo, this is a very long chapter, I mean like 3500 words long. I tried to cut it down, but like I've said in a past chapter, there is only so much I can take away before it starts to take away from the story. I'd like to mention, I WILL BE UPDATING ANOTHER CHAPTER TONIGHT. A lot of people might get upset when they see this isn't the chapter with the storm, but rather the suspense building chapter that leads to the storm, and fills in some plot holes. But another chapter will be put up tonight, and is the chapter you all have been waiting for. I am very proud of this chapter, so I really hope you all will read it and enjoy it :). So enough rambling, let chapter 23 begin!

-A

In my dream, I was underwater. At least, I think I was. Though I could feel the coolness hugging my body in a feathery embrace, and my limbs were suspended weightlessly at my sides, I could somehow breath. I took in deep breaths, and it felt as easy as breathing in the air on land. I glanced around myself in all directions, but the only place I saw any light was from above; everywhere else around me faded into darkness. Feeling as though I was getting nowhere, I started kicking my legs to try and get back to the surface, where the light was radiating brilliantly. I pushed as hard as I could, but it didn't matter how much I tried, my body remained just as deep in the water. A frustrated grunt escaped my lips, only to be swallowed up by the void around me.

I brought my hand up to fiddle with my necklace, desperately seeking comfort so that I could find a way out of the situation I found myself in. Except, when I touched my neck, nothing was there. Panic went through my body as I circled around in the water, desperately trying to find the small piece of jewellery. After a minute of frantically searching, I froze in place.

Why do I even care so much about that damn thing anyways? It can easily be replaced at a pawn shop anywhere in Hawaii.

Even as I thought that, I felt the slightest twinge of sadness shoot through my chest. Something that just told me that the necklace wasn't as irreplaceable as I was trying to make myself believe.

Just as I was about to try and swim up to the surface again, the light that had been glowing brightly only a moment before, began to dim like a setting sun. The spark that had been illuminating the water a brilliant, cerulean blue shade, began to turn it a deep amber whilst it faded away. That wasn't the bigger problem though, the biggest issue, was that as it lost its gleaming luster, the water around me began to feel heavier and heavier in my lungs. It felt like when you have the flu, and you break out into an uncontrollable coughing fit to the point you barely have time to take in a breath, before the coughs jolt through your shaking body once more.

The pressure was becoming more and more painful, and yet, I still couldn't get my body to move an inch closer to the rapidly dimming surface. Soon, the amber light dyed the water a raging crimson color, rivaling any stain that could be left behind by blood. By now, it was so impossibly hard to breath that I clenched my eyes shut tightly, before the last of the light left, and I was doused in pitch black nothingness. If I was to be swallowed up by the void of darkness, it would be when I decided.

Just as I could no longer take in another breath, a warm glow heated my skin, and illuminated behind my lids. I inhaled deeply, satisfied to feel air inflating my lungs once more, and wind whipping my hair along my cheeks, leaving behind a faint tickle. Finally, I allowed my eyes to slip open again. All around my reserved form, was the breathtaking scenery of a beach at dusk, but not just any beach, the beach I had grown up on. I could recognize the line of houses in the distance, and the old, worn out dock where I used to go fishing.

I tilted my head back, taking in a deep breath and finding comfort in the scent from my memories; salty, with the slightest musky undertones, but at the same time sweet, and heavy with tropical heat. My toes curled in the soft sand beneath me, making me relish in the satisfying feeling of the grains and crushed shell fragments, that scratched an itch I didn't know I had. The wind that raged past my face, coupled with the fizzy crashing sound of the waves, made it difficult to hear much else. However, through it all I could faintly make out the high-pitched squeal of a child's laughter. I opened my eyes again to search out the source of that sound, only to be shocked into taking a step back as the small form of a kid ran right past me. My eyes squinted in curiosity while I watched the, achingly familiar, child push his body against the current. He pushed deeper and deeper, until the water was just barely lapping at the base of his thin neck. He twisted left and right in the gently curving waves, appearing like he was searching for something. The tide swelled up higher, dampening the ends of his chocolaty-colored hair. His beautiful, green eyes darkened with disappointment when he couldn't find the object of his interest. He looked as though he was about to give up his search, when another voice filled the air.