Eating Dust

It was just Hadrain's luck to have transfiguration next. Most of the magic classes for the first years were with only one house. He knew his Aunt Min would start class the same way she had for nearly seven years. He had a friend who had gone to school at Hogwarts and that was what he said at least, and she had done similar exercises with him. (Any guesses who?) That meant she would tell them how to transfigure a match into a needle and leave them to it. After that, they would work on theory. He was right. Blackie hated this. He was going to fail in front of all these people. Still, he raised his wand and carefully said the incantation, not really paying attention. Instead he thought about how the school seemed so familiar and about how his classmates seemed scared of him. Was it bad he kinda liked the feeling? A bright light filled his eyes and when he could see again all of the matchsticks were perfect, silver needles. He looked around, wondering who did it, but everyone was staring at him.

"Ten points to Hufflepuff... Mister Potter-Black, see me after class. Now, open your textbooks to page three and read until the end of class. There will be a quiz on the chapter Friday. We'll do practical work next Monday if half of the class has a passing grade."

   Potter-Black. It was strange to Blackie how he had somehow kept in touch with the name when he had no idea who he was. Why did it feel so normal to respond to the name? He couldn't focus on his work so he instead planned what to say. 

"Harry, what did you do differently this time? That shouldn't even have been possible for someone your age."

"I'd tell you if I knew Professor. I wasn't thinking all that hard about it. I'm not completely certain it was me."

   But that was a quiet lie because the more Hadrian thought about it the more certain he was that it was him. 

"Professor? Now that I've done magic I wonder if you can pick up my wand?" 

   Before there had been a strange barrier blocking her from even putting a hand on it. Now she picked up the wand... And it promptly flung itself out of her grasp and across the room. She wrote him a pass for his next class —not that he needed it, he had a free block next— and they parted, both with questions drifting through their heads.

   History of Magic turned out to be the Blackie's favourite class. Sure, the Slytherins he took the class with wouldn't stop peeking at him from the corner of their eyes and the teacher droned on and on but he still learned! The professor was a ghost and started the class by saying how 'goblins control Gringotts', and Gringotts was the only bank if he remembered correctly. The mistrust between wizards and other magical creatures was quite clear. Maybe it was convoluted of him to want to capitalize on an unstable economy. Maybe he was just as greedy as the goblins. It was highly likely that he wouldn't be able to get close to recreating the protections already in place. But growing up money had been something he knew like the back of his hand. It was just what it took to survive. Here things were unstable. He had the worst possible reputation of anyone at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and he was stuck in one place. This was new to him. And it brought up old memories. 

   The first time Hadrian Regulus Blackie Potter-Black was attacked with magic inside the school grounds was at dinner the same day. The same day, the first day of school, and he was defenceless. A marshmallow had started it. He remembered one girl —a third-year— whispered something and then he felt pinpricks crawling up his arms. From there it got worse.

<><><><>

Well, I promised he would be bullied. It is gonna happen, I just extraordinarily suck at writing action y'all. He'll get his friends soon, but first, he just needs even more bad shite to happen to him. So nice of me!