Chapter 1 {Fortune Is Unpredictable and Mutable}

~•~

~•~

The day is ending as the sun slowly coloured the sky vermilion. The evening is ending as many make their way home or prepare themselves for a late night shift. Though everyone is exhausted, rather be back home....well nearly everyone.

"...huh..."

A boy, one without a home. Dressed in rags as he was cast out with nowhere to go. With no money, he could only bare through the pain and hunger. But if one were to starve, surely hunger will slowly consumed his mind.

'One bowl of tea on rice...pickled plum, slivered nori and leftover chicken from dinner. All doused in piping-hot water then shovelled in with salted kelp.....that was so good' He could only sadly recalled. 'All those bowls of tea on rice I'd sneak into the kitchen to make at the orphanage...' The hunger was too much.

"Ow..." He collapsed to his knee before falling down with his face hitting the pavement.

"Damn it...I'm gonna die of hunger..." The boy groaned against the pavement. It was getting too much to bare.

'My name is Atsushi...due to certain circumstances, I'm about to die from starvation...'

A train runs in the background with its passengers oblivious to a boy's grief and pain just outside the vehicle they're in. Too busy with their own little lives.

'After being driven out of the orphanage, I had nothing to eat, nowhere to sleep and, as one might expect, not a cent to my name...yet, I lack the courage to commit theft. That is how I've arrived at my current predicament...' Atsushi wallowed in self-pity. Actually belittling himself for not committing such deeds.

'However....if I wish to live, I have no choice but to steal and take from others!' He finally left himself up from the ground with a newfound resolve. However, memories of his past continue to haunt him. Doesn't matter where he goes.

"Get out, you good-for-nothing!"

"No orphanage would welcome the likes of you!"

"The world would be a better place if you'd just die in a ditch somewhere!"

Insults after insults, each word added salts to his already opened wounds. May it be new or old.

"Shut up...shut up! Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!" Atsushi screamed to the heavens bringing out the rage within him. Rage from all those long years mistreated and wrong by those back in that place he called and orphanage.

"Die in a ditch? I'm not gonna die...I'm gonna live, no matter what it takes!" His knuckles clenching tightly turning white. " —Okey...I'll rush the first person who comes along and rob them of everything they've got!" Atsushi announced with determination clear in his eyes but many would really doubt...