Part 5

I put the news on sitting in the enormous living room. The walls were painted a soft faded white, everything in it, graceful. The south wall was completely glass, it made the room so bright, and open. If you looked out from it, you could see right on to the river. The ceiling was high beamed and carpeted, in the same shade of faded white, as the walls. In the living room stood a grand piano, which I itched to play. 

There wasn't much else to do right now, Wanda, Sam and Vision were out making sure the area was safe, it was just Bucky and I. Steve was in his office, Tony and Bruce in the lab.

I flicked through the channels at top speed. There was nothing interesting on so I stuck with the news. I sped to my room to grab one of the many books occupying my shelves, a romantic novel I had yet to read, and came to rest on the sofa. I was getting to a good part. I was reading at world record speed, I'd be finished soon. I liked that bit about it, the past months I'd been here I couldn't get enough of speeding through all the books occupying the house, I loved reading very much. Then something from the news caught my senses, I turned the volume up a fraction so I could take in the words the woman was throwing at me.

'HEADLINE NEWS!'

'Another unexplained death in New York.' - 'What are the Avengers not telling us.' - 'Many missing, where have they gone?'

They all flashed across the screen.

"The first victim a girl of only seventeen years, walking home from her friends house. The second a young man in his twenties, thought to have been making his way home from a local bar. And the third another young woman, it is unclear where she was heading to or from. No signs of evidence only spats of blood left at each scene. Are they possibly linked? Is there a dangerous killer out there on the loose? Police investigations are underway, so far nothing can be explained.- If you have any information please contact..."

I trailed off, what if this person killing or kidnapping these people was the same person that had been in the clearing just under a week ago, and these attacks happened all in a matter of days. What if this was him. What if this was HYDRA?

I decided I would not let it bother me, not just yet, after all it might just be coincidence. People went missing everyday.

I turned the news off and tried to get back to reading. Everything still played on my mind, but I tried my best to push it aside. Bucky came in the room then, he had been in the kitchen making coffee. He read the distress on my face. I flicked the news back on.

A few hours later and it was pitch black outside, I'd got through a few dozen books. I'd started reading some medical ones that had intrigued me. Bucky paced the room, wearing the carpet thin as he waited for everyone to come home. My mind kept wandering back to the news, I was unable to rid my unease and the worry I felt.

Finally, happy that no one was going to break in to the compound everyone returned. Vision stayed on the perimeter, and Tony had put up some technological barriers via FRIDAY.

Bucky filled everyone in, and Tony pulled up the news. They couldn't be certain if it was HYDRA or not, but it certainly looked that way.

We all stood in the kitchen. Tony could find no information about the stranger and I wondered where he was now. What he was doing. Who he had kidnapped. 

"I think it might be Ruskin." I spoke. My voice shook. "You said he got away, there's no other explanation. It had to be him at that base."

"We've been thinking the same." Steve said. "But there are some inconsistencies, Ruskin got shot in the leg, and that guy, whoever he was, he wasn't limping."