Day 4.

Prompt: Contest

Rogue never understood why but Sting would sometimes start a little contest over something even when they were little it made no sense but Rogue went with it. For example when they were about 11 years old Sting came up to them and said.

"I challenge you to a  contest!"

Rogue put down the book they were reading and looked over at their friend.

"Okay what kind"

"Who is the better friend!"

"Sting that sounds stupid"

Sting glared at them and put his hands on his hips and puffed up his cheek,giving him a cute pout face, he would use this all the time just for Rogue to give into something silly. Which worked and now Rogue was challenged into being the better friend,of course they really weren't going to do it, they were going to let Sting win so they can see that happy grin on his bright face.

"Alright I'll play"

"Yeah!"

There it is that bright smile that Rogue was being blinded with all the time whenever Sting was really happy, the child would literally glow like a light bulb, the sun, or even a glow sticks in the night. Their first challenge was who could make the better flower crown for the other, Rogue was excellent at it, Sting was not as good but he was trying and that's all that matter, he tried. Sting gave the point to Rogue, but Rogue interfered and said he tried his hardest so he gets the point not them. Sting couldn't argue with them for long but he felt guilty for taking Rogues point, so as an agreement they split the point. By the end of their contest they both came out even.

"Looks like we're both the better friend"

"Awww but I wanted you to win Rogue, you're a better friend than I am, you do things better than I do, you're better than me at everything, even being a friend"

Rogue smiled at Stings little pout on his face, they let out a little laugh. Sting looked up at them confused at why they were laughing.

"Even if I do things a little more better than you, you tried your hardest and put your effort in it, even if it's not the best I can tell you actually tried and didn't even think about giving up and i'm proud of you, A friend who actually tries IS the better friend"

They swore they thought Sting was close to crying just at a few words. Rogue held their arms out as Sting launched himself at his friend and hugged them tight.

Rogue smiled at the memory and chuckled to themself at how much sting didn't really change from that day even a few years later after that contest, Sting challenged him again. They were 16 years old this time when Sting told him.

"I challenge you to a contest."

"What kind of contest, who's the better friend again?"

"Nope, who's the better fighter"

"You want to fight me?"

"Yeah! I haven't fought you ever since we met, I want to see what we can do!"

"Sting..."

"Please Rogue!"

There's that look again the one where Sting gives the best poutiest look he can until Rogue gives in, which took a while but they gave in and now they were in an empty field, so they couldn't damage any property and no one would get hurt cause of  them. Rogue put their hair up in a pony tail, put on their wristbands and got into their position, Sting stretched his arms and legs out  before standing up and getting into his position.

"Remember if I hurt you too much, let me know so we can stop"

"Not going to happen"

"Sting."

"Fine i'll tell you if it starts our match quicker"

"You ready?"

"Been ready, are you?"

Rogue only responded in a nod and that's when their training or sparring has started well neither of those, their contest. After hours of fighting, They were both exhausted mostly Sting, he had a few bruises on his chest, stomach, and some on his back, his cheek was even swollen. Rogue on the other hand had only a bruise on their cheek and their left side.

"Are you okay? It looks like I hit you pretty bad, here let me-"

"No! No I'm fine!"

"Sting."

"Rogue."

"Let me treat your bruises at least, You tried your best and now you're exhausted, lets go home and I can-"

"Even if I tried my best it wasn't the best nor close to how I wanted it, you win this contest"

Rogue sighed and knelt down in front of Sting who was on the ground, they wiped the dust off of  his face and smiled softly.

"Sting even if your best wasn't the way you wanted that's okay, because you're getting stronger the more and more you try the better you become and then what you tried to achieve all your life will come to you, just keep trying okay?"

Sting chuckled and sat up and held out his hand to his friend, Rogue smiled and grabbed Stings hand and gripped it, pulling him up to his feet and patted him on the back as they walked to their shared home.

Rogue smiled even more as they remembered all of this, they didn't know why but they never understood why they remembered all of this and why it never disappeared out of their mind, but this one is something that will surely never leave their mind. This one was a recent contest they were 18 years old when Sting came to them with this.

"I CHALLENGE YOU TO A CONTEST!"

"Sting you're killing me with these contest, what is it?"

"I'll tell you afterwards"

"Sting that makes no-"

"CHALLENGE ACCEPTED OR NOT!"

"okay okay I accept"

Sting grinned and hugged Rogue tight before letting them go and rushed off, this confused them for a good bit but followed the blond of course until they were at a garden, no this was a special garden, The two of them always came here to relax and enjoy each others company this was their garden of course. Sting laid near his favorite flowers, Sunflowers and Rogue sat by some roses and ran their fingertips against the petals, feeling how nice and soft they were.

"Why did you bring me here?"

"Just relax"

"I still don't know what the contest is"

"Shh...."

Rogue blinked and stared at their friend for a moment, this whole contest confused them but they'll go with it, hopefully Sting wins this one. They sighed and looked up at the clear blue sky and listened to the sounds around the two of them. Rogue glanced at Sting for a moment and ask what the contest was this time but Sting held his hand up to Rogue as a sign to not ask.

"You better know that the suspense will kill me if you don't tell me what it is"

"Looks like you'll die here"

"Wow you're mean"

The two of them shared a quick laugh before going quiet and enjoying the silence for a while until Sting sat up and stretched his arms, looking over at Rogue and smiled.

"Ready?"

"For?"

"The contest"

"Are you ready to spill?"

"Yeah, the contest is which one of us can be the best partner"

"Sting, this is the most stupidest way of you asking me out and I'm stupid for doing this but...I accept your challenge"