Fallout

Tracer POV

We all stand in the room deciphering what the new guy, or Isaac, just told us.

Hana: So, let's recap real quick. You're from another version of earth where some nuclear power company was experimenting with inter dimensional portals?!

Isaac nods lightly.

Isaac: That pretty much sums it up, yeah.

I look at Winston.

Me: Winston, do you know what this means?! You've cracked inter dimensional travel!

Winston takes off his glasses and sits down, astonished at such a scientific discovery. And why shouldn't he be?! He just found a way to travel to other worlds!

Mercy: Think of the discoveries we could make if we sent someone-
Isaac: That is an extremely bad idea.

We look at him, curious as to why he would say that.

Mercy: Why is that?

He hesitates for a moment, then answers.

Isaac: Well, my world is a shitty nuclear wasteland. Pardon my French.

A nuclear wasteland? What happened? What turned his world into an apocalypse?

Mercy: Oh... I'm sorry to hear that.
Isaac: Eh, it's in the past. Like, way in the past.
Winston: What happened?
Isaac: Uh... I don't know a lot of the details, so I'll just give you the nutshell version. After the nuclear bombs dropped in World War 2, the government thought it would be a good idea to use nuclear energy to power everything in the country. And I mean everything. It provided us the opportunity to make great strides in technology. Suddenly the things that were only found in science fiction became products found in every household. Sentient robots, portable computers, fusion powered cars. The world was in blissful peace.

He takes a deep breath and continues talking.

Isaac: Until the year 2052. That's when the world realized that it was almost completely drained of natural resources. So, in order get more, the US decided to go to war with China. It became known as the "Resource War". We were at war for 25 years.

He hesitates, then starts speaking again.

Isaac: Then, on October 23, 2077, the US and China dropped nuclear bombs on each other, destroying the world.

Wow. That's so sad. Such peace gets brought down almost immediately. Such a prosperous world reduced to rubble in an instant.

Isaac: Fast-forward 200 years later, and what's left of humanity is doing what they can to rebuild. Settlements, caravans. Hell, the survivors in California actually managed to start what is basically a nation.

At least his world is trying put itself back together piece by piece.

However, I am curious. He said that these events took place 200 years ago on his world. Yet he described it in such detail. You'd think that details like that would fade from knowledge with time.

Me: You talk about it like you were there.
Mercy: Lena!
Isaac: Eh, she's not wrong.

We look at him again.

Isaac: I... I was there. When Vault-tec lowered us into the vault, we were told that we had to step into decontamination pods.

He hesitates for a minute, as though it's painful for him to remember.

Isaac: But it was a lie. They were Cryogenic-stasis pods... technically speaking, I'm 217 years old.

Why would somebody lie about that? Why keep it a secret? At least there's a bright side to cryo-freezing.

Me: At least you woke up with people you knew.

He nods lightly.

Isaac: Yeah... I would have. But something went wrong... and I was the only one that made it out.

I fall silent. I didn't mean to make remember something so painful. He shakes his head and looks up at us.

Isaac: Ah, it's in past now. Nothing can be done now. All I can do now is remember them.

He looks at me and notices that I feel bad about making him remember.

Isaac: Hey, come on. You didn't know, and you just wanted to learn about my world. I mean, I'm technically an alien. Who wouldn't ask questions like that?

I start to feel better. He's right. I just got excited that I'm in a room with an alien. I'll control myself next time.

I don't know what is about him, but he's definitely charismatic.