Chapter 2

A/N

Omg I'm so sorry lmao. I literally had this done in November but I forgot about posting it here. I remembered a few weeks ago but I was too lazy lol. You can also find this on archive of our own, it has the same title. I usually post there so if you want and earlier update, go there. Quarantine is motivating me to write more so I expect to have the fic at least half-way done before it ends. Thank you so much for being patient and for reading! <3

____________

     Levi opened his eyes blearily as the rays of the sun hit his face, causing him discomfort. He took note of the pain in his back and the soreness of his throat as he moved to the titan across from him. Its emerald blue eyes focused on Levi's body as he got up. Levi clutched his stomach tightly and felt it groan. He hadn't eaten in a while and his body was not responding well to it. He figured he would have to suck it up, there was no way he was getting down from the tree alive and even if he managed that he would not be able to get back up.

     Levi instead focused on the weather; it was cold. Cold in a way that made you feel so itchy, so dry, so naked. Levi didn't like this kind of weather, it reminded him of his underground life as a thug where he would have to steal from others. He somehow missed that life. In a weird way, of course. At least he wouldn't have to fear being eaten alive and he was around other humans. Levi realized that he had never truly lived in solitude, there was always someone else there. Even when his mother was sick and dying, he was still not alone. He could talk to her, he never knew if she listened or not, but it was all the same. He was reassured by the presence of another human being, reassured that he was not alone. At least, no really.

.
.
.
.
     Hours later, Levi found himself throwing up, well, trying to throw up. He felt that trying to puke up nothing was worse than puking up something. Puking up nothing felt like trying to get something out, with your body not even knowing that it was never there to begin with. He felt like he was choking and the process made his throat so incredibly sore. He would have to bear with it.

     Levi often found himself thinking how much easier it would have been to just stop, to just end it all, but he knew that he would be dying with regret if he went through with it. Not only that but his pride would never allow him to do it. He knew what it was like to be weak and powerless and now that he had tasted strength, he didn't want to go back to being that small, meek, naïve little boy. Never again.
.
.
.
.
     The following days were complete terror. Titans clawing at the tree Levi resided in and some even climbing it. Levi was absolutely terrified. Those giant man-eating creatures had not yet grown restless, had not yet realized that they wouldn't be able to consume him. Levi felt an odd smugness arise in him. He didn't know how he wasn't dead yet but realized that he probably didn't want to know....
     It was good luck that he hoped would not come back to bite him in the ass (as well as the titans). He spent most of his days studying the titan who currently lay next to him, unmoving. The titan's gaze never left him, and Levi did not waver. He would be damned if he lost a staring contest to a titan. He found an odd comfort in the abnormal titan. It's ragged breathing reminding Levi that he was not alone. Even though the titan couldn't speak, the silence alone was enough for Levi. He smiled.