Chapter 5

A/N

Ok so here's the new chapter lol i decided to make it 1000 words bc i wanted to satisfy the readers. i'm dedicating this to my friend jules aka plutonici bc she helped motivate me and she's been a real help (even if she doesn't know it) and you should go check her out! she mostly writes fairy tale x readers but she takes requests and she's really good at what she does <3 expect an update every 1-2 weeks and they'll be at least 1000 words! tysm for the love and support <3 enjoy :D!!!!

____________

A shrill scream pierced the air as Eren fell, teeth biting into his hand. Levi reached out his hands to try to catch the boy when a burst of steam pushed him back.

"EREN!" he yelled. Levi saw lighting strike the spot where the tall boy had been only a few moments before and wondered how bad his luck must have been for lighting to want to personally remove him from the face of the earth. He struggled against the force of the steam, wanting desperately to save his newfound friend.

He thought of the things he could do to save him, but without any gear, it'd basically be suicide and Levi had already decided that that was not the way to go. It was a few minutes later when the steam had finally decided to clear and Levi rushed to the edge of the branch, hoping to find some sign of Eren. Instead, he saw a familiar titan. The titan from before, the one who saved me and protected me. Where the hell did he come from...?

Levi stared in disbelief; he thought that the rogue had been killed or had gotten bored of him and deserted him, but there he was, fighting titans. Protecting me.... A feeling of gratitude overcame him and he hoped that the titan would be able to leave this battle unscathed. The rogue shot him a look and began climbing the tree. Levi felt the tree shake and backed away from the edge so that he didn't topple over. He noted the way that the titans seemed to back away from the tree and went back to their own business. The rogue stepped onto the branch and picked Levi up.

"Hey! What the hell?! Put me down!" Levi felt his stomach filling up with dread and hoped to God that the titan wouldn't eat him. Instead, the titan placed him on top of his head and began jumping between trees, causing Levi to yelp and tightly grip the long strands of titan hair.

"SLOW THE HELL DOWN! DO YOU WANT ME TO FUCKING FALL?!" Levi closed his eyes and silently prayed. Dear God, I don't really believe in you, but if you're real, please don't let me die like this. I do not want to be titan food, especially because of this little (big) shit. Thank you very much, he sassily thought.

Levi's head was spinning. He tried his best to suppress the urge to let it out and attempted to keep his eyes away from the ground. He hoped that he didn't lose his grips on the massive, but strangely soft, strands of hair. If you slip, I will personally find a way to slice you up, you lump of meat. He opened his eyes and the titan slowed to a stop. Before him stood a huge stone wall. Levi shook with happiness as he saw people with green cloaks walking around. They looked toward the titan and prepared to attack when Levi spoke. "Don't attack him! He's abnormal and intelligent. We can trust him." The titan lifted his arm up and placed Levi on the floor gently. He sat down and started to play with Levi's hair.

"Watch out, Captain!" Levi rolled his eyes and asked where Erwin and Hange were. "Uh... They're right over here, sir," the soldier gestured to a large forest green tent. The flaps were closed but one could easily see the figures' silhouettes on the dead grass.

Levi slowly walked towards the tents, heart beating loudly in his chest. He stopped before the entrance and inhaled. Almost instantly he was tackled by two (very heavy) people. He fell to the ground and wrapped his arms around the two people he had come to call him friends. Hange was sobbing into his clothes while Erwin simply relished in his presence.

Levi dusted himself off and asked the two how long he had been missing. To him, it had felt like a month. A month of nothing but false hope and danger. He shivered and inwardly thanked God that he had been able to leave the forest.

"Levi, you've been gone a week! We tried to go after you but we were about to run out of fuel and we still had to get back. We thought of putting together a rescue squad but we'd already lost many soldiers and couldn't risk it. But enough about that... How are you feeling?" Hange quickly took Levi's face in her hands, checking for any external injuries. He felt uncomfortable under her serious gaze and tried to recall a time where she had acted less like a titan-crazy maniac and more like a normal human being. He could count those times on one hand and let out a sigh when the hands left his face. It seemed like Hange couldn't find any injuries that weren't scratches so she felt satisfied and let go. She suddenly excused herself and went to look for a change of clothes for him.

"Are you sure you're alright, Levi?" Erwin inquired. He looked very troubled. "You look like hell, no offense." Erwin took a seat next to a chair and invited Levi to sit across from him. He promptly shook his head before replying.

"None taken. And I can assure you that I'm fine. Well, as fine as you can be after spending a week in a forest surrounded by titans," Levi snapped. Ah, shit! I shouldn't be yelling at him; It's not his fault I chased after that titan. And it certainly isn't his fault that I not only failed to kill it, but also ended up being under its protection.

"I'm sorry, Levi. We tried to look for you but we didn't have enough fuel for the search." Erwin had a meaningful look in his eyes and Levi clicked his tongue, feeling guilty.

"It's not your fault, Eyebrows. If anything, it's mine. I thought I could get that titan but I was mistaken. I shouldn't have snapped at you. I'm... sorry...." Levi scowled at the way he faltered and averted his eyes. "Changing the subject, I've got a little friend I'd like you to meet," he smirked.