Chapter 4 - Disturbing Behavior

I wake up to someone calling my name and a hand on my arm. I open my eyes to see Elijah. What? Oh right, kidnapping, Klaus, etc. "Hey, are we already in Mystic Falls?" I ask him as I sit up properly. "No, I thought we would stop and eat. We still have at least 3 hours of drive left. I figured you might be hungry." Elijah tells me and I nod, taking off my seatbelt. "Thanks. That sounds great, let's go," I say and get out of the car. We are parked outside a small diner. We both walk towards the door and Elijah holds the door open for me. I give him a small smile and enter. We sit in a booth at the far end. A few minutes later a waiter comes and takes our orders. We both order burgers and a drink.

"If you don't mind, can I ask you something?" I ask Elijah. He nods and gestures me to continue. "You found your siblings like you wanted to and it's not like you need Noah's permission or help to help them. Then why did you call him?" I ask him. "I had my doubts. I am not sure if it's safe, or if they will forgive me for my part in all of it." Elijah explains. "Are you worried about Mikael?" I ask him and he looks shocked for a few seconds before nodding. "I am. He won't harm them but he is surely going to do anything it takes to kill Niklaus." Elijah says. "What was it like? Your human life with Mikael." I ask Elijah and he seems unsure of himself for a few seconds. His hands reaching to fix nonexistent wrinkles on his suit.

As he is about to answer the waitress arrives with our food and places it on the table. I thank her and she leaves. Elijah sends me a small smile before reaching for his food. I start to eat as well. "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable. I didn't mean to, I'm just curious. I know Noah hates Mikael and that he was... what Mikael was like, so I... I'm sorry. You don't have to answer that." I say almost rambling. "It's alright. I don't think any of us have truly talked about it or even thought about it in a long time." Elijah says.

I nod in understanding before we return to eating our food. We eat in silence before paying for the food and leaving. Even after Elijah starts driving we both sit in silence. I know he is just thinking about the past and needs time to process his thoughts and feelings. After some time Elijah clears his throat and I look towards to see him already looking towards me. He seems nervous, his fingers tap the steering wheel in a rhythm.

Elijah takes a deep breath before starting. We reach home and all I can think about is Klaus. As weird as it sounds, I truly can't seem to fathom how a boy who cared so deeply about his family and who loved them so much could turn into a person that daggers his siblings when he faces an inconvenience or just can't let go of the past. It's odd to think that a person everyone fears and thinks of as a monster is truly terrified of someone to a point that he is paranoid about it. How is it that someone as powerful as Klaus is so paranoid and so afraid? I guess Noah was right, all the power we have is enough and is all we need.

"Are you scared of him too?" I ask Elijah as we sit in the car. I'm thankful he understands I need some time to process. I mean I knew Noah's parents weren't the best but to hear about it what they actually, the things they actually did was a whole different thing. How can a parent be that heartless? "I am. Mikael isn't someone to take lightly. He is quite determined to kill Niklaus and he won't stop until he achieved his goal." Elijah explains. "I, I guess that is understandable. It's just hard for me to believe that someone terrifies you." I tell Elijah. "Why is it so hard to believe?" Elijah questions. "I guess, I guess it's that you seem so sure of yourself like you are ready to face anything and everything that might come your way. You just, you don't give off the feeling of being someone who would... Nevermind." I tell him and Elijah chuckles. "You don't believe I'm someone who can be afraid? Because of what I am?" Elijah asks.

"Not really. It's more about you as a person, it's more about how you present yourself. Even when I first met you I knew you were someone who was strategic, someone who was dangerous. You just, I don't know, seem like someone who could solve any problem you face." I tell him. Elijah seems to think about what I said before giving me a small smile. "How is it that you always amaze me? Your thoughts always seem rationalized. But everyone is afraid of something. Aren't you?" Elijah asks. "I am. I'm afraid of a lot of things." I say. Before either of us can say anything else, the door to the house opens and Ares walks out. I take off my seatbelt and get out of the car, Elijah doing the same.