Chapter 5 - The Reckoning

I wake up to my alarm and sit up in my bed. After a few minutes, I go into the bathroom for a shower. I brush my teeth and shower before changing into pants and a t-shirt and combing my hair. I go downstairs to see everyone in the dining room for breakfast. Elijah is also sitting with them. Great. I sit down at the table and greet everyone. Breakfast consists of pancakes and juice or coffee. Everyone starts eating after Adam finishes the last pancake.

We mostly talk about tonight's prank night. I can't believe that we're actually doing this, who even came up with this stupid idea. Who thought that spending the last night of vacation in school was a good idea? Tomorrow is the first day of senior year, it's a bit unbelievable that after this we will all be somewhere else in the world, doing what we want away from all this drama. I look up towards Elijah to see him already looking at me. He gives me a small smile before turning to look at Noah.

Ares who is sitting next to me nudges me and I look at him. "Everything okay?" Ares asks. "Yeah. Why?" I ask him. "No reason. Just checking up." Ares says. "Checking up?" I inquire. "I want to know if your sister or boy toy called you," Ares says. "No, no one has called me. Don't worry about it. I'm not interested in anything they have to say. I'll let you know if they call." I tell him. "Okay, fine. I have every right to be worried you know." Ares tells me and I nod. After breakfast, everyone goes off to do what they want. I finish doing the dishes and start towards my room.

"Elle," Noah calls out to me as I pass the living room. "Yeah? Everything okay?" I ask him. "No, have a seat," Ares says gesturing to the sofa. "What did I do?" I ask him, sitting down. "Nothing. We just think Nik should be in town soon." Noah explains. "Why do you think so?" I ask him. "I have been informed that he knows Stefan lied to him. It won't take him too long to figure it out." Elijah explains. "We thought you might want to tell your sister," Noah says. "I don't know what the point would be. She's not going to leave nor is she going to take preventive steps. So, why bother?" I say. "It's your wish. Just thought you should know." Noah says. "Fine. I'll go try and talk some sense into my sister." I say and get up.

I take Noah's car and go home. I reach and go in. I see Elena and Jenna in the living room. "What are you doing here?" Elena asks. "This is my house too. I live here." I inform her. Elena looks at me frustrated and I just sigh. "Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that Klaus will be in town soon. Seeing as you have been following him around and whatnot, I assume you have a plan or that you don't really care. Either way, try not to die." I tell her before moving to leave again.

"Elle," I hear Jer say from behind me. "Hey, Jer." I greet him. "Are you coming home?" Jer asks. "No, I just came to give some information. I would rather not be in the house where everyone looks at me like I threatened to kill everyone." I tell him. "That's not how it is," Jenna says. "Really? Then what is it? You hate that I'm friends with Noah even though he saved your life. Not like Damon didn't kill Jer or anything." I tell her. "There's a difference," Elena argues. "Like what? The fact that Damon is someone important to you while Noah is someone important to me. Is that it? Only your opinions and your whims matter?" I ask her.

"Ari, that's not what it is. Noah is Klaus' brother. I understand that he might have helped you through something and he helped me but we are on different sides." Jenna says. "Right. The problem Jenna is that I'm not on anyone's side. The problem is that you can't accept my choices, you can't accept that I won't kill someone to save someone else." I tell her. "Well, that's all. I'll see you around." I say after a few minutes of silence and leave.

I head towards the car before hearing the front door open. I turn to see Jer walking towards me. "Hey." Jer greets meekly. "Hey. What's up?" I ask him. "I wanted to apologize. I don't know why I was so angry. I know what you did was right and you are right, Noah did save Jenna. Most importantly, he saved you. I'm sorry Elle, I just... I got angry because of Uncle John's death even though it didn't have anything to do with you or him. I'm sorry." Jer apologizes. He stands there looking small and ready to be swallowed by the floor. "It's okay Jer. I know you were just trying to process. Don't worry about it." I tell him. "How did it go with the whole dagger thing?" Jer asks. "It went... okay. No one died so that's a plus." I tell him. "I'm glad," Jer says.