Chapter Eight: Keephie (Oneshot Comp. Entry)

Love  - noun.

an intense feeling of affection and/or a deep romantic attachment to someone.

Keefe almost laughed, unfunny as it was. Somehow, looking up the definition had made him feel worse, and he hadn't even thought that was possible. It was like the vocabulary book had sided against him, on the "Keefe loving Sophie is a mistake side."

Oh, he had feelings for her. He had been sure before, but the Oxford now confirmed it.

That wasn't the part that was bothering him--much, anyway.

No, the part that made Keefe want to punch a hole in the wall was the fact that Sophie Foster most definitely did not love him back.

He didn't need the Oxford to confirm that anymore, not after what had happened three nights ago.

It had been just the two of them at Havenfield, in the pastures watching the alicorn twins playfully tackle each other. Stars attempted to outshine each other all across the inky sky, and for once, everything had felt perfectly perfect.

So of course Keefe had done something and messed it up.

Sophie looked beautiful under the soft glow of the moon, the wind gently swishing her shiny blonde hair and her eyes as twinkling and happy as ever.

And then she'd turned to him and said four words, four words that barely meant anything but made Keefe's heart beat ten times faster all the same.

"Beautiful night, isn't it?"

It was the kind of statement that nobody would expect an answer too, maybe just a nod would have sufficed. But Keefe panicked, and his mouth, moving on its own accord had blurted out the most random sentence.

"Yeah. Sorry I was late, I had to take my pet fish on a walk."

The thing with words was that once you said them, you could not take them back no matter what you tried. So all Keefe could do was flush red and stare at the ground and remark about how stupid he was.

But to his surprise, she laughed and gently elbowed him in the ribs. "That's a new excuse. Points for creativity!"

She thought he was joking, and Keefe was able to laugh along with her.

And just then, a familiar rush of adrenaline went through him, the kind that he got whenever he was about to do something reckless.

Except that this time, he didn't stop to think about the consequences.

At all.

Keefe told her how he felt.

And in that moment, he was sure that he'd done the wrong thing.

Her cheeks went red, eyes widened, and lips slightly parted as though she wanted to say something but wasn't able to speak.

She looked shocked, her emotions wafting through the air.

Surprise.

Disbelief.

Dread.

Her fawn eyes roamed his face.

Looking for some way to breakout to me nicely, he'd realized with a start.

Keefe had fled the seen shortly after, too embarrassed to stay any longer in that horrible silence.

He had a feeling Sophie had felt the same way.

Nothing could cheer him up now, even three days later. His heart hadn't been broken, it had completely shattered, so many little pieces strewn everywhere that it could never be put back together the right way.