Chapter Ten: Cheater (Oneshot Comp. Entry)

A banshee was staring back at Biana through the mirror.

It wasn't even funny. Her eyes were red and puffy, her hair no longer the silky smooth that it used to be, instead it was tangled and messy. Worst of all, the silver locket that he had bought for her was still hanging around her neck.

She ripped it off and was about to fling it out her window before stopping to look at the pendant hanging on the broken chain.

It was even shaped like a heart.

Her phone lit up with a caller, but Biana didn't even bother to turn around.

She knew who it was, the same person who had been calling on repeat every day since that horrible encounter.

And the one person she never wanted to see again.
Her now-ex-boyfriend, Keefe Sencen.

Just thinking about him made her want to have another crying-fest again.

But that was all she'd been doing for days now.

She would have to get over it eventually and cutting herself off from the world wasn't doing her any favors.

Her phone had stopped ringing by now, so she picked it up and dialed a new number.

Ideally, Marella Redek wouldn't be her first choice to go clubbing with, but seeing now that her best friend had betrayed her, she wasn't about to call her up.

Arrangements were made, and Biana Vacker strode off to her bathroom to freshen up for the first time in days, ignoring the little voice in her head that was telling her that this was a bad idea.

She wasn't very smart like that.

+++

The loud music could be heard from a quarter of a mile away, as Biana learned that night. Cars were parked up and down the street, all of them sleek and expensive-looking but none worth more than Marella's gleaming white Bugatti.

Couples were everywhere, even on the sidewalks leading up to the place. Marella turned to Biana, a worried look in her eyes. "You sure about this, Bi?"

Biana nodded, trying not to think about the last time she had been in a public place. "Let's do this."

The club was relatively quiet as they walked in. Most of the members were from their school and had either seen or heard about what had happened at the coffee shop last Saturday. Biana hoped that the weird stares and soft murmurs weren't for her.

The two of them popped down on a couch, but no sooner had they sat did an auburn-haired boy swoop down and asked the pixie-like girl to dance with him, and Marella almost instantly agreed.

Biana shook her head and sighed, ordering a drink. This was the problem with Marella, she had a good heart but could get easily distracted.

Most of the people had gone back to dancing after realizing that nothing interesting was about to happen, however some of them still had their eyes on Biana.

She shifted uncomfortably, wishing that she hadn't made such a big scene that day. She had had no idea that so many others would hear about it, and she could swear that her name was coming up in all the hushed conversations around her.

And then she saw him.

With his arm around her as he led his new girl through the doors and off to the dance floor. The voices, which had been hushed murmurs when Biana had come through, were now loud as nobody was bothering to keep their voices down.