Chapter Nine: Stay (Oneshot Comp. Entry)

Tam wasn't really one to pick a fight over stupid things. He was good at keeping his temper, even in the worst of situations.

It was one of the few things he prided himself on. He didn't need anyone to help calm him down. He knew his own limits, and, as had been proved several times, this was an important factor in your personality.

However there were some times that he went too far and let his anger get the best of him.

And just that thought made him want to curl into a ball and die.

Biana wasn't exactly the same way. She could spark an argument fast. All it took was one wrong step, one wrong word slipping through before her rage exploded and all hell broke loose. But she also controlled herself much better than Tam did when he was mad. She always thought about her actions first, and therefore didn't regret them later.

Despite their differences, Tam still loved her, no doubt about that. And he thought Biana loved him back, despite all their disagreements. They just fit.

Although occasionally, it didn't feel that way.

This was one of those times.

Tam was at the local bar, ordering drink after drink. Sometimes that was all that made the pain go away.

He ignored the concerned looks the petite blonde bartender was giving him. She should be happy enough, he was paying more than any of her other customers.

This was one of the only escapes he had from reality. He didn't need it often, but living with a full drama queen could really do something to you.

Nevertheless, the weirded-out stares, (now coming from some of the other people there), were starting to get to him, so reluctantly finishing the last drops at the bottom of his cup, he called a cab and paid the driver to drop him off at the small apartment he and Biana shared on the Upper East Side.

It was 5 am in the morning, which wasn't really a big deal for him since he rarely slept nowadays, but late enough that the sky was still pitch black and the only noise was coming from the soft chirping of crickets.

He stood just outside the door, staring at the chipping green paint on the walls. This was where it had all begun.

They had both been running, running from their pasts and running from what the future held for them. Tam hadn't wanted to endure his father's abusive ways any longer and suffer with the knowledge of his twin sister's death. Biana was taking off because her parents were so concerned about her two older brothers: Alvar, who was in a drug rehab center and Fitz, who was going to inherit her father's billions.

Neither wanted to go back, so they started over, here in New York. Sure, maybe they were struggling to pay rent and to put food on the table everyday, but at least they were somewhat happy, and they couldn't have even found that kind of happiness by staying where their roots lay.

Although that could be hard to remember sometimes, what with their now common arguments.

It wasn't over something really that big, but it was one of the few times that Tam lost his temper. Biana had come home angry and took her frustration out on him, saying that he wasn't working hard enough and spending too much of their earnings on drinks and such.

Tam responded by counting off all the beauty products she bought, and this comment basically made Biana's ears steam.

And then she escalated further, now resorting to comments over his parentage and how his parents had spoiled him, and that was when he finally snapped.