two; ❝you can speak?❞

I wait by her house, 4:30 pm on the dot and then she finally leaves her house, coming over to me. I notice the change in her way of walking today — a confident strut that keeps my eyes on her and leaves me focused on only her.

Her brown hair is in a ponytail today and she wears a black sports bra with matching black leggings. Her black running shoes seem to be new, and I tilt my head as I look over her. She usually opts to a t-shirt but today it seems that she has been feeling the growing heat in the area.

"Hey, Camila," she says with a wink.

I feel myself glow bright red and I look down, glancing at her chest area. I'm shocked by her words. Two simple words that break our long mutual silence.

"I'm up here."

"You know my name...?"

"Please, as if I'm the only one that did research. Very impressive Camila, with math and chess club, plus track team all to your name. Not to mention the fancy-ass scholarship team for 'highly intelligent individuals' that you were selected for."

"How do yo—"

"Let's continue with our run."

I stay silent as I run with her, deciding that being quiet is better than making a fool out of myself.

"I saw that you're in band. What instrument do you play?" I ask her after we remain in silence for a while.

"Clarinet," she tells me.

"That's a cool instrument."

"I love playing it. I've had a passion for it since I was 7."

"I wish I could play an instrument, but it seems far too complicated."

"It really isn't. You should come over to my house some time — not to wait for me but actually go inside so I can teach you," she says.

"My attempts to play it would be far too embarrassing."

"I'm sure you can't be that bad. Besides, I'll be your teacher so you'll be in good hands," she tells me with a wink.

There goes that mysterious wink again. Winking as if she's part of an inside joke that I'm not aware of.

"When can you teach me?"

"Tomorrow," she suggests. "Same time as our run but I'll give you lessons instead. One day of not running won't kill either of us."

"Tomorrow then," I agree.

"I'll see you tomorrow then," she says.

"Wha-"

I'm surprised when I found that we're already back at her house. This felt like one of the quickest runs ever. Turns out that speaking can make it better.

"You're not running to my house?" I ask her.

"I'm tired," she admits. "I have no idea how you can run so much."

She giggles and I let out a small laugh with her, having no idea how I manage it either.

"See you tomorrow, Laur," I tell her, smiling at the nickname.

"See ya, Camz."

I wave at her before she enters her house and I find myself with a burst of energy, running to my house faster than I had before.