ten; ❝she can't know❞

When I wake up the next day, I smile when I turn around on the bed and find Lauren laying next to me.

"Good morning," Lauren tells me as her eyes flutter open.

"Good morning to you too," I tell her with a smile.

Lauren laughs randomly, and gives me a swift kiss on the lips which takes my breath away. Though I love her and want to stay with her in the moment, I start to question how my mom hasn't knocked the bedroom door down yet.

Except, she wasn't here last night when we had arrived since she was out running some errands. I wasn't sure what time she came home then.

"My mom hasn't kicked you out yet?" I question her.

"I thought she would but it doesn't matter," she says calmly, ignoring my panicking.

"I cannot face my mom after this. What if she knows about..?" tell her, my voice full of embarrassment.

"It'll be fine. You can do this."

I bury my face into the pillow and Lauren begins to stroke my hair, then begins to rub my back. The touch ignites the feeling of a fire in me and I sit up in bed.

"I don't like you," I say.

"Hm, why?"

"One little touch from you and it feels as if there are fireworks in my stomach!"

"Well, I can't help that it happens," she defends herself.

I shake my head and she simply giggles in response, which promptly, brings upon more sparks in me.

"You're very beautiful. You know that, right?"

I feel myself blush and I say, "You're such a flirt."

"So I've been told."

"I love you," I tell her.

"I love you too."

"I think it's time we get out of bed now though," I say.

I check the time and find that though it's early morning, I know that we'll stay here forever if we spend another minute in my room.

"Well, I love being here with you but you're right."

"I'm scared to face my mom," I say.

"I cannot wait until you face your mom," Lauren teases me.

"Just get some clothes on so we can get out of here," I scold her.

We quickly change into clothes and I feel incredibly nervous to face my mom. I tip toe down the stairs, attempting to be quiet but Lauren puts all those attempts down the drain when she loudly stomps down the stairs.

"Hello, Sinuhe!" Lauren announces when we enter the kitchen.

"Hi, mom," I squeak out.

My mom turns around and eyes me with humor, asking, "did you have a good time last night?"

"Well, Lauren and I got kicked out of a restaurant so that wasn't great," I answer.

"I think last night was actually amazing," Lauren loudly says, referring to what my mom can't know about.

I lightly kick her leg and my mom laughs, though she doesn't completely understand the joke or the reason behind her statement.

"Has my own girlfriend now joined my mom in the relentless teasing I face?" I ask in pretend disbelief.

"It's my job to tease you," Lauren mutters. "Especially in bed."

I kick her a bit harder this time and my mom goes on with cooking, thankfully not listening to what Lauren had said.

"Camila, I know this isn't great timing but your dad is going to come for dinner today."

"Oh... oh well I guess that's..."

Horrible.

The divorce had revealed my father's true colors. I barely saw him but for the sake of maintaining a relationship with him for me despite everything he had done, my mom still remained in contact with him.

It had been years since the divorce, but sometimes, I still think about it. My mind forces me to relive the pain and sometimes, I feel like I can't breathe because of it.

It wasn't a big deal. At least, that's what I tell myself so that I don't let my anxiety get the best of me.

For the most part, even though it didn't seem like it, I had moved on. As long as that half of the family stays away, I'll be fine.

"I may have let it slip that you're dating someone and now your father wants to have dinner with them here," she quickly adds.

"Mom!"

"I can stay for dinner," Lauren says.

"That would be great, Lauren, but I can't guarantee that he will be happy with the relationship," my mom says.

Then why let it slip out that I was dating someone?

My mom's actions annoy me. A lot. But I can't change anything now. I just need to accept it and deal with it.

"I'll still stay for dinner. I can't miss out on your awesome cooking," Lauren tells us.

I shake my head and say, "I'll just tell him that they couldn't make it."

"Maybe you should just get it out of the way by letting him know who you're dating instead of running away from it," my mom says.

Again, it annoys me.

"I —"

"C'mon, Camz it will be good that I finally get to meet your dad."

Lauren words are comforting, but she doesn't know my father like I do. His words kill. His damaging words led to the divorce.

"I suppose but —"

"Okay, if you don't want me to then I don't have to."

"Stay," I say, surprising myself with the change in opinion despite my worries telling me that I'm making the wrong choice.

"Great," she says.