eleven; ❝friends❞

"Hello father," I greet him when he enters the house later that day.

He gives me a stiff hug and I return it. My mom also gives him a hug out of politeness and he shakes Lauren's hand, not really acknowledging her.

"Let's go eat dinner," my mom says, wisely choosing to stomp over the awkward silence between all of us.

My dad sits down at the table with us in our dining room and we all begin to eat. Lauren takes my hand into hers under the table and I can tell she's just as anxious as I am, even if she doesn't say it.

"Camila, it's nice to see your new friend and everything but where's the boyfriend? Your mother said I would meet the person you're dating."

"Dad... she's not my friend, she's my girlfriend and her name is Lauren."

I nervously glance at my father and he says, "Oh... oh."

He spits out the food he had been eating into his napkin and gets up from his chair, leaving the dining table.

"Alejandro-" my mom calls after him.

She leaves us to go after my dad and I hear the front door open, then close. I get up to look out the large window and find my father get into his car, driving away.

"Cami-" my mom starts to say, when she comes back to us.

"I've disappointed him again," I say.

"No, you haven't. He's just not used to the idea of you having a girlfriend instead of a boyfriend."

"I've disappointed him again," I repeat, ignoring her words.

Back in the divorce, I had taken my mom's side. While my absent brother decided to live with him, I had chosen to stay with my mom. I disappointed him and I don't think he's ever truly forgiven me for that. Now, I had disappointed him again.

My mom rushes back into the dining room and gives me a gentle hug. I willingly let my tears fall on to her sleeve and she rubs my back, trying to comfort me.

"I'm so sorry he reacted that way."

"A part of me already knew he wouldn't accept me but it still hurts."

I get pulled away into Lauren's comforting arms and she says, "it doesn't matter what he thinks. We still love each other and he can't take that away from us."

"I want to meet your parents," I say suddenly.

If my own dad won't accept me, I at least want to see if her parents will.

"Yeah, whatever you want, Camila. Anything for you."

"Now?"

"Now? You're sure?" Lauren asks unbelievably.

I nod my head and she smiles, giving me a 'yes' with her eyes.

"Let's go now," she tells me.

"That's okay with you?" I ask my mom.

"Yes, yes of course. Have a good time and I hope her parents like you."

My mom easily goes with the flow and doesn't mind the change in plans. We were different in that way.

"I'm sure they'll like you, Camz," Lauren says.

"I hope so. Can we walk there?"

"Anything you want."

And so we leave the house, hand in hand, going to Lauren's house.

*****************

"Welcome!" A woman tells me who I assume must be Lauren's mom.

They look wildly alike. Except, her mom is shorter and wrinkles paint over her face, masking her still as a fierce woman. Even alike qualities of confidence.

"Hi," I say.

A man comes along and comments, "so this is the girl who've we've been hearing about nonstop, huh?"

Her dad is tall, towering over all of us with a warm smile on his face. He seems kind, unlike my own father who's literally evil.

"Shut up, dad," Lauren scolds him.

"Hey, don't pretend to be so tough. All of us know that you're a softie at heart."

"Fine," she admits.

I laugh and her dad grins, making Lauren roll her eyes.

"I didn't know we would be meeting you so soon," her mom says.

"Yeah, it's just that at Camila's house, introducing me to her dad didn't go too well so we decided to come here, so she can feel better."

"You're not hurt?" I ask her.

"I mean, yes, but I want to make you feel better. It's not about me right now."

I admire her even more, and how selfless she is.

"Aw, I'm sorry he didn't react well," her dad apologizes.

"I'm sorry too," her mom adds.

Lauren shrugs, and I try to maintain a cool and calm face.

"Enough with the sappy sap! Mom. Dad. Please say you have some dinner ready! We didn't finish over there so I really hope we can finish here."

"Of course, of course."

"Let's go eat," she says, offering me her hand. "Trust me, my mom's food is to die for. It's Cuban heaven."

I nod my head eagerly, accepting her head and I follow her into the dining room, not knowing exactly what to expect.