Chapter One: Animal Magnetism

"Curse this damn heat!" sighed Olivia Wellington as she desperately tried to cool herself with a makeshift fan.

"Honestly Nici, I don't see how you can stand this place."

"It grows on you." Nicolette Thorne laughed as she took a sip of her iced tea and recalled the first time she and her husband Jackson stepped foot in Green Oaks Country Club, five years ago.

She'd never seen so much white in her life; from the tablecloths right down to the members. For a moment, she felt like that poor little black girl from Decatur; out of place and unloved. Then, Jackson held her hand tight and gave her that look, the one that reminded her who she really was; the wife of one of the most prominent lawyers in Savannah, Georgia. Together, they held their heads high, followed their waiter to the table and introduced Green Oaks to the twenty-first century.

"Really Olivia you'd think you grew up someplace else. You're a southern bell; you should be used to this kind of weather."

"I may have grown up in the south, Nici but gentile folk, like myself, never fare well in this kind of heat." Nici burst out into laughter while her friend fanned herself frantically.

Olivia was a mess but despite her many issues, she was a good friend and Nici appreciated her.

Olivia Wellington was your typical blond hair, blue eye beauty; a self-proclaimed drama queen with an insatiable appetite for attention. She was one of the first members to befriend Nici after she and Jackson joined the club. Olivia was the second wife of a respected doctor and a local girl who married up. She and Nici bonded instantly because they both understood what it was like being an outsider in a privileged community.

"Don't laugh at me Nici you know I hate being made fun of."

"Yes, but you make it so easy Olivia, what am I supposed to do?"

Brushing Nici off, Olivia held her hand over her eyes for shade and glanced out onto the course. "Do you think the fellas are almost done? I really do want to get out of this heat."

Turning her attention to the course, and shielding her eyes, Nici smiled "Knowing those two they probably gave up hours ago and are downing shots in the bar."

Nici took out her cell phone and texted Jackson, 'Where are you, babe?' Moments later her phone chimed with his response; just as she suspected.

"Yep, they're in the bar."

"Oh, those two! To think we've been out here all this time when we could have been indulging ourselves in the air-conditioned bar."

The two women collected their purses and headed inside. As they made their way up the terrace steps and into the double doors of the clubhouse, a young man in a white uniform practically knocked Nici to the floor.

"Oh, Mrs. I'm so sorry," a deep voice apologized as strong arms wrapped around her small waist, to balance her.

"Excuse you!" Nici objected as she freed herself from the stranger's grasp. Steadying herself on six-inch stilettos, she looked up into the most beautiful sea-green eyes she'd ever seen.

"I'm truly sorry, are you alright?" David Morales smiled, and Nici felt her knees buckle.

She couldn't help but gaze at the Adonis that stood before her. A Perfectly sculpted face and body, with full lips and a knowing smile. Her eyes traveled down his broad chest and muscular arms to the obvious bulge in his white uniform shorts.

"I'm fine, thank you." She managed to breathe as her eyes met his again.

"Mrs. Thorne, right?"