Chapter Four: Jackson Thorne

Jackson Thorne's black Escalade was a common feature in the rundown neighborhood of Riverend. Normally, a car as fine as Jackson's would be stripped down, and broken into, within minutes, but no one was fool enough to mess with Tyree Macon's little brother.

Tyree was the head of a notorious gang called Dilè Lanmò, Hattian Creole for "Death Dealers." They owned Riverend and its surrounding neighborhoods. Jackson ran with the gang during his youth, but his big brother wanted better for him.

Tyree paid for Jackson's education and encouraged him to change his last name to help him establish a clean reputation. Tyree saw Jackson as his investment and key to one day going legit. Jackson helped the gang launder drug money in exchange for protection and an insane salary. His dealings with Dilè Lanmò helped bankroll the lifestyle he and Nici were used to.

"Jackson, Ki jan ou ap fè frè m 'lan?" Tyree smiled and greeted his little brother with a bear hug.

"Good, brother, I am doing well. How about you?"

"English.... always English with you. I pay for my brother's Harvard education, and he forgets his native tongue." Tyree joked as his men laughed.

"Mwen pa janm bliye frè. I never forget, I just choose to speak English."

"What brings you to Riverend little brother?"

"Can we speak in private?" Jackson looked back at his brother's men.

"Natirèlman." Tyree motion for his men to leave and they followed suit. "What is it, little brother? What has got you so spooked?"

"I just got off the phone with my informant at the D.A.'s office. It looks like they're moving forward with the investigation into Victor Bernard's murder. They say they have a witness."

"You're not telling me anything I don't already know, little brother. My people are working on locating the witness as we speak. By nightfall, they will recant their story or suffer the consequences."

"Tyree this Deputy D.A. is ruthless. He is out to make a name for himself, and he won't stop, witness or no witness."

"You let me handle the Deputy D.A. Jackson. I didn't work my way up to lidè by chance. I've got this under control, trust me."

Jackson hesitated, but the look in his brother's eyes warned him not to question him any further. "Oke, ou genyen."

Tyree's face eased into a smile, "So, how is that beautiful wife of yours?"

"Uh, spending my money like crazy."

Tyree laughed in a hearty roar. "She is doing what all women do, brother."

"I should make her get a job just to support her spending sprees."

"You'll do no such thing. A woman as beautiful as Nici doesn't need to work. Just as long as she continues to lay on her back and bay bon lovin chak swa."

Jackson laughed; he couldn't disagree with his brother there.

"Go, be with that beautiful wife and tell her I said hello."

Jackson hugged his brother goodbye and made the long drive home to his Nici.