Chapter Two: Fall for Your Type

It was dark when David finished his shift at the clubhouse. He planned to hurry home, shower, and scarf down whatever was for dinner before heading out to hook up with Malcolm and Jason. When he opened the door to his home and saw his father comforting his mother, he knew his plans for the night were derailed.

"What's wrong?"

"It's your grandmother, David. She passed away this morning."

"I'm sorry mama," David took over consoling his mother while his father sat at the kitchen table.

"I just can't believe she's gone." Simone Morales wiped away the tears from her crimson eyes.

"She was a good woman."  Joseph Morales smiled, remembering the kindness of his mother-in-law. While his family disowned him for marrying a black woman, Estelle Wright accepted him, no questions asked.

"Is there anything I can do?" David asked, still unsure how to process the loss of his maternal grandmother. He used to spend a lot of time with her when he was a child but saw less and less of her as he grew; no fault of her own.

"Just having you here is enough Davie." Simone looked up into her son's warm eyes and smiled. "I need to go call your Tia, Lydia."

"You sure you're gonna be ok?" David held onto his mother's hand.

"I'll be find mi hoji." She reassured him with a smile before going into the other room.

"So.... how was your day son?"

"Alright, I guess."

"You guess?"

"Its work pops, what do you want me to say?" David remarked, looking in the fridge for something to eat.

"They treating you alright there?"

"Yeah, I can't complain."

David was thankful for the plate of leftovers he found in the fridge. He heated it in the microwave and took a seat next to his father.

"You got plans for tonight?"

"I was going to hang out with Jason and Malcolm, but I think I'll just stay home for mama."

"Go out, enjoy your free time. Come this fall; you'll be too busy to spend any time with your friends."

David smiled at his father. He was right. David would be entering the Physician's Assistant program at Emory University in the fall, and his social life would pretty much be non-existent.

"You sure pops?"

"I got your mom. Go out, meet a pretty girl and have a good time."

"I will Pops," David smiled.

"I'm going to check on your mama. Make sure you fill-up the truck, I need to drive to the airport tomorrow to pick up your Tia."

David nodded and continued to eat his dinner.

****

Later that night, as David and his friends hung outside the theater, laughing and talking about old times, he spotted Mr. Thornes' black Escalade as it pulled into a parking space across the street.

David watched as Mr. Thorne hopped out of the car and quickly went to the passenger's side. David licked his lips, hoping to get a glimpse of Nici again, but when a blond woman got out of the car and gave Jackson a heated kiss, David knew Nici's marriage was a farce.

He felt sorry for Nici, sitting at home, alone while her husband played around. Jackson was a fool, David thought. If Nici was his woman, she'd never spend her nights alone.