Chapter Seven: Avoidance

Nici spent the next week avoiding David. She even canceled her tennis lessons with Olivia, who wasn't too thrilled. To make up for being such a bad friend, she decided to treat Olivia to lunch. They met at a little crab shack downtown called Delilah's.

"What made you think of this place?"

"I heard from my hairdresser that they're really good. Thought we'd try something different."

"Is it sanitary?"

"Stop being so uppity Olivia. It'll be fine."

A pretty young black girl came to their table to take their order. Nici could tell she didn't like them much, but she put on a smile anyway.

"Welcome to Delilah's. What can I get you?"

"I hear you make the most amazing crab cakes. We'll have two orders, oh, and two sweet teas."

"Alright, then. My name is Leila, let me know if you need anything else. I'll be back with your order shortly."

Nici smiled and turned her attention back to her best friend.

"So... I haven't seen much of you at the clubhouse, Nici. That's not like you. One would think that you were trying to avoid someone, say a certain young valet?"

Nici tried to act like she didn't know what Olivia was talking about. "I've just been busy lately. I can't spend all of my time there."

"It never stopped you in the past. Come on Nici; I see him looking for you every time I come around. The boy's got it bad."

"Honestly Olivia maybe he's got a thing for you."

"Oh no, honey. He only has eyes for you and Jackson is very aware of that. He looked like he could have killed that boy when he was eye sexing you that night we all went out to dinner."

"Are you suggesting I should have an affair?"

"No, just a little fun. God knows I would."

Nici tried to ignore her friend's poor advice and turned her attention to the bar.

A couple of young men were laughing and playing around with their waitress. Nici could tell the tall, muscular one liked the girl, but he hid his true feelings. It made Nici think about David and how much she wanted to act on her feelings for him, but fear stopped her.

Suddenly the front door of the restaurant opened and to Nici's surprised, David walked in. He quickly joined the group at the bar. She could tell by the look on the waitresses' face, that she was in love with David, but he didn't reciprocate the feelings. Nici gasped as David's eyes were drawn to hers. He clenched his jaw and swallowed slowly. Damn, he looked good, she thought. Nici couldn't deny the attraction.

In malice, David started flirting with the young waitress, causing her to blush uncontrollably. Nici felt a rush of emotions she had very little experience with. She was jealous, and he seemed to enjoy making her suffer.

As Nici turned her attention back to Olivia, she was greeted by a knowing smile. "What?"

"Nicolette Christine Thorne. If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were jealous."

"Of what? Please, Olivia, there is nothing to be jealous of."

"Uh-huh," she smiled.

Moments later, the young waitress brought Nici and Olivia their food. Nici laughed and joked with her best friend, but she could feel the weight of David's stare. He was on his second beer and a look of longing consumed his face. Nici's heart stopped when he stood up from the barstool and made his way to their table.