five

~

WORD COUNT: 3.6K 

~

A knock at the front door of the apartment Colben was staying in, caused her to spin around quickly in surprise. The door slid opened to reveal Anakin standing there with a small smile. Colben was currently staying in an apartment owned by Padmè ,since the older woman wanted to make sure she was getting a good enough rest. Colben knew eventually she would have to go back to her quarters at the Temple, but she liked the privacy of the apartment far too much to leave sooner. 

"Oh, Ani you frightened me. What can I do for you?" She asked as she walked out onto the balcony. Anakin followed after her at his own pace. The traffic idled by slowly, people down below on the lower levels hollered and cheered, clearly intoxicated, and although Colben had grown older, to her the ambience of Coruscant hadn't. 

"I was just checking up on you. Are you feeling okay?" He asked and stood in the doorway of the balcony, looking at her in concern as she turned to face him before pulling herself up onto the railing. 

After they had left the wreck they had managed to successfully crash-land, they had gotten into a scuffle with a few attack droids that ended up stuck on board. Everyone escaped with minor injuries. 

She smiled a little at his concern as thunder rumbled above them. "Besides the bruises, I should be okay," she said and glanced down at the black and blue mark forming on the inside of her arms. "Have you heard from Ahsoka?" Colben asked him, understanding the topic of his former Padawan was a touchy subject for him.

He shrugged and sighed, "I haven't heard from her."

Colben nodded and decided not to question it further.

"There's something troubling you," Anakin frowned and stepped onto the balcony, trying not to stare at her short green pyjamas. It was very rare to see a Jedi in something other than robes, and he didn't want to make her uncomfortable. "Tell me."

"There's something troubling you," she retorted causing him to grin and shake his head. 

It was strange to Colben at how comfortable they were with each other, how they were able to pick things from up where they left off a few years ago. The last time she spoke with him was in the medical bay of the Temple, she was telling him about her newest mission with Master Unduli, and once she left, they never saw each other again. 

Colben hummed and glanced over her shoulder at the stream of traffic. She looked back at Anakin and shook her head, "it's rather ignorant of me"

She looked down and twisted the green leather bracelet on her wrist. Master Gallia had given it to her when she completed an incredibly difficult mission as a Padawan, and before it was Master Gallia's, it belonged to her Master. 

"Nothing you think is ignorant. You're one of the best Jedi I know," he said and leant on the railing next to her, turning his head and tilting it back to look at her. 

She laughed a little but it turned into an exasperated sigh. "You can't tell anyone, but... I'm afraid jealous of somebody right now," she muttered and refused take her gaze off of the floor. 

"Jedi shouldn't-"

"Be jealous I know," Colben finished his sentence for him, rolling her eyes. Colben shook her head once more, "but Padmè..."

"Padmè?" Anakin asked in shock, standing up and turning to face her front on. 

"Padmè... She has it all. She's beautiful, smart, an actual intellectual. She was a Queen at fourteen and is now a Senator. She has found love and now they're starting a family together. I know what I was getting myself into by becoming a Jedi, but I didn't think it would be this lonely." She let out another deep breath and ignored Anakin as he grabbed her hand gently.