eight

~

WORD COUNT: 2.8k

~

Colben walked through the Jedi Temple halls alongside Master Yoda and Master Windu, listening to them explain what had happened to Master Net-Srik and why she had been absent recently. 

"Unfortunately, Master Net-Srik was killed on Hoth a week ago. She encountered an unnamed Sith," Mace Windu frowned as the three of them stopped in the hall to face one another.

"Oh my... That's horrible," Colben mumbled. She quite enjoyed her occasional talks with Master Net-Srik when they would run into each other outside the Jedi Temple. "But a Sith? Master Windu aren't they-"

"Yes." Colben's frown only deepened at Master Windu's confirmation.

"Master Net-Srik's young Apprentice, we wish to talk with you about," Master Yoda said and stepped towards her, stretching his cane to point down the hall, a signal to keep walking. "Much frightened, she is. Lost and alone, she is. To take on the job of guiding this lost Padawan, will you be?"

Colben's heart attempted to leap out of her chest, which caused her hands to clam up and tighten their grip on her arms. Thankfully her robes covered the small action. 

"You wish for me to take over Master Net-Srik's teaching? Master Yoda I do not think I'm ready for such a thing," she said and shook her head. "Shouldn't I have been prepared for something like this? I can barely keep track of my own Division! let alone a Padawan."

"Pick you if you weren't capable, we would not," Master Yoda smugly said and shook his head in a "told you so" way.

The young woman bit her lip and looked down at the ground before nodding. "Then I shall take on this task. I am honoured. Thank you Master Yoda, Master Windu," she told them.

Master Yoda nodded at her once.

"I'll introduce you to her, follow me," Mace said and began walking down the hall with Colben by his side. "Her name is Harley Calvin. She's quiet, listens well, and extremely talented with a lightsaber. The only problem is she relies too much on her emotions, which is why she has taken the death of her former Master so hard."

Colben nodded and took all the information she could get, any of it would be helpful to her. Knowing they had something in common, however morbid, was comforting to Colben. 

"I appreciate the help, Master Windu," she told him. "If only there were an instruction booklet for this sort of thing."

Mace gave her a look which included a raised eyebrow, "Harley will be an easy Padawan to teach compared to how troubling you were."

"I apologise to you almost every day, Master. Is that not enough?"

"No it is not," he said with a shake of his head whilst Colben laughed. 

They walked through a doorway of one of the Padawan rooms before coming to a stop in front of the only open one. Colben could see the young girl sitting on her bed, staring at the air in front of her. She was a pretty little thing, and unfortunately that could possibly get her into a lot of trouble in the future. Colben had also been rather dashing when she was younger also, and many people took advantage of it. Harley had obviously been with Master Net-Srik for a while, for she looked to be at least fourteen.

Mace looked at Colben and raised his eyebrows, nodding his head towards the young Padawan.

Colben rolled her eyes a little but stepped further into the room, finally gaining the attention of the young, grieving, Padawan.