Oasis Part 2

Listen to the video above while reading for the best experience!

-

Kurt and I smoked outside for a moment, enjoying the cool March air before heading in as Oasis were about to go on. We popped backstage to wish them luck before heading out into the crowd. Kurt and I bought two pints of Guinness and drank them while we were waiting for them to come on.

"Are you ready Kurt? Can you feel the energy in the air? History is in the making tonight." I half yelled into his ear as the crowd was already rearing to go, piss drunk and very loud. (He smelt good, by the way.)

He was about to respond when the drumsticks were hit together. The distorted guitar tore through the crowd's cheering. I very nearly started to cry. This was one of my favourite Oasis songs and I was about to hear it live in 1994. 

I put my hands over my mouth when the guitar picked up and Liam started belting the lyrics. The crowd instantly started jumping and shoving and enjoying the ever-loving shit out of the song in the first 30 seconds.

"What was that sound ringin' around your brain?" His confident tone filled the club and I nearly started singing along before I remembered that I'm not supposed to know these songs. They haven't been released yet. 

At that realisation I decided to grab Kurt by the shoulders and shove him into the pit. What I didn't realise however was that he'd grabbed my arm and pulled me in with him. I gave him a look that said 'Oh, you've done it now!' and I charged at him with all my might. He and I laughed and kept targeting each other in the pit and having the absolute time of our lives.

After the solo a the pit started to open up.

"Bring it on down, bring it down for me..." I started moving round the pit, bringing people with me. We were all feeling the exact same, sweat and beer covering all of us and moving and experiencing this music together. Nobody knew each other, yet we were all sharing this feeling. Not the feeling of there being history in the making, not the worries or the pains of the outside world. All we felt was the music.

We all stopped circling to quickly spread an empty space in the crowd right before the drop.

Then,

"You're the outcast, you're the underclass, but you don't care, 'cause you're living fast!" We all charged in. Shoulders were bashed, elbows were dug into ribs, cigarettes burned arms and we were all soaked in the absolutely magnificent feeling of seeing and hearing Oasis. And sweat. 

The sheer joy of seeing one of my favourite bands absolutely overcame me and my grin was so wide that it hurt. I didn't see this, but Kurt watched me from across the pit being completely absorbed in the feeling  of the music and smiled.

I found Kurt in the crowd and I wrapped my arm around his shoulder and he wrapped his around mine when the next song begun to play. 

"This one's called Digsy's Dinner."

Everyone was jumping and shoving and tossing pints absolutely everywhere.

It was so fucking great.

"This one's for Alan McGee, and it's called Live Forever." Liam said in his soon-to-be iconic Mancunian lilt.

There were cheers throughout the crowd.

The drums came in.

Those fucking drums.

"Maybe, I don't really wanna know, how your garden grows, 'cause I just wanna fly,"

The crowd pulled out their lighters and started waving and singing with me and Kurt stood in the centre of it all.

I started to cry with happiness.

I held Kurt tighter.

It was at that point a pint was dumped on my head, but I hardly even noticed it, my favourite song of all time was being played. It felt like my soul was being called to.

"Maybe you're the same as me,"

Kurt turned me to face him in the crowd, his face glowing from the flames of the lighters surrounding us.

"We see things they'll never see,"

He pushed my hair out of my face and pulled me closer.

"You and I are gonna live forever!"

He kissed me hard.

The adrenaline (and alcohol) running through my veins went into overdrive and I kissed Kurt Cobain back and threw my arms around his neck. I kissed him back fucking hard.

There were cheers around us as Noel went into the solo.

I pulled back and grinned at him and he had the widest, most beautiful smile I'd ever seen on him. I kept one arm wrapped around him as I pulled my cigarette and lighter out, lighting it then waving it alongside everyone else.

This was the most incredible moment of my entire life. I'm in heaven. I can smoke indoors.

"You and I are gonna live forever.." Kurt whispered in my ear as the song ended and I pecked him on the cheek.

We walked off to the bar as I Will Believe started to play to buy another couple of pints and started drinking them.

"Race you." I yelled.

We started to chug them. People started chanting.

"We like to drink with Cobain, 'cause Cobain is our mate!"

We drank faster.

"We like to drink with Cobain, 'cause he gets it down in 

eight!

seven!"

I'll die before he beats me.

"Six!

Five! 

Four!

Three!"

I threw my cup on the floor.

Everyone cheered and I swung my arms up to bask in the glory. Kurt through his cup on the floor and people picked us up to crowd surf. Oh my God I feel like I'm in a movie.

We were passed around the crowd on our backs before we were pushed to the front and onto the stage.

"I finished my pint before Kurt Fucking Cobain! I'm king of the fucking world!" I yelled into the mic as Noel played the solo. One of many magnificent Oasis solos.

Liam grabbed my hand and held it up in victory. Everyone cheered. I put up my fingers in a V and swore at everyone and grinned.

"My mate Effy everyone.." I heard Liam say to the crowd as me and Kurt ran off stage hand in hand.

Cigarettes and Alcohol started to play as we pelted off stage to the bathrooms.