Too Bad

Two weeks passed before Daichi could bring himself to visit Sugawara. Two weeks of agonizing over whether or not he should confess. Two weeks of nightmares and imagining every way something could go wrong. He couldn't remember the last time he had been so stressed. Michimiya or Sugawara. His two best friends in the entire world. Finally, he made up his mind. He was going to confess to Suga. Just because he made the decision didn't make him feel any worse. 

     Come on, it's just Suga. He's my friend. Even if I don't end up confessing, I'm being an ass by not visiting him sooner. Daichi drove to the hospital with his heart pounding. The last time he had seen Suga was when he collapsed in class. He and Michimiya. Something has to be going on here, he thought. Shit, I almost forgot about Michi. I'm an awful friend

     Daichi never liked hospitals. They always had this certain scent about them. It reminded him of disease. He felt bad that his two closest friends had been stuck there for so long. The receptionist directed him to Suga's room and Michimiya's room. Just breathe. It's Suga. He knocked three times before entering. The room was mostly dark. Blue curtains were pulled across the window, blocking out most of the light. A get well soon card stood on the nightstand. There was a plastic bucket by his bedside. Shit. His heart dropped like a stone when he saw his friend's condition. 

     Suga had gotten significantly thinner. Dark bags formed under his eyes. He looked like he was dying. Yet somehow he still smiled that same bright smile when he saw Daichi. 

     "Oh, Daichi! I was wondering if you were even going to come see me." Suga laughed quietly. His voice was hoarse. "This might sound like a strange request, but can you use my first name for right now? I miss hearing my mom say it." 

     "Right. Ok, Koushi." Daichi smiled. At least Suga didn't seem mad for the lack of visits. He pulled up a chair and sat next to Suga's bed. "I'm sorry for not coming sooner." 

     "It's fine. The team's been keeping me company. Especially the first-years. I admit that I do feel a bit bad for Hinata. I'm not sure how far the hospital is from his house and he's already got a long enough journey home. Everyone else comes by when they can," Suga said. He wasn't smiling anymore. Daichi wondered if he had anything to do with it. "I thought I got lonely before, but damn being here alone all day really messes with my head sometimes." 

     Daichi bit his lip. "Yeah, sorry."

     "No no. Don't be sorry. I can't expect people to bend their schedules to meet my needs. Besides, everyone visits when they have the time. Anything interesting happen while I've been gone? Most of our cute underclassmen will chat for a while, but I want to hear what's happened from your end." Suga sits back and closes his eyes. 

     "Well, not a lot. Everyone's been frantic because of nationals. Kageyama and Hinata seem to have calmed down a bit. We're getting by, but everyone misses you a lot. Both Yamaguchi and Hinata have turned around to say something to you before realizing that you're not there. Michi got put in the hospital too. I'm going to go see her after this." 

     "Really? Asahi never mentioned anything about Michimiya. I hate being here. I've fallen out of the information loop," Suga murmured. He suddenly started coughing violently. It sounded like he was trying to cough out his lungs. He leaned over the bed and into the bucket as a wave of soft white petals fell out of his mouth. 

     "Suga- I mean Koushi, what the actual fuck..." Daichi muttered. "You had Hanahaki and you never told me?"

     "Ugh, I'm sorry. I didn't think it'd get this insane." Suga sighed and sat back up. "I thought I was getting over it for a while. I thought 'oh, it's just a little crush. I can get over it' but the more time passed the more I realized there was no way in hell it was gonna be that easy. Then I collapsed at school and it really set in how absolutely fucked I am." He laughed again quietly. "Cowards like me shouldn't be allowed to get crushes because there's not enough bravery in my whole body to confess."