[ 13 ]

"DID you pack what you needed?"

"Yeah...? Why are you forcing me to go on this trip anyway? I wanted to spend time with you and mom." He faced his dad and crossed his arms.

"You should be thankful that you have the opportunity to travel the world at such a young age with your friends. I would never be able to take you to Italy."

"Fine, fine. Are you sure you'll be okay for Thanksgiving? I feel bad for leaving you here. You don't get to see Mom either."

Ben's dad put more clothes in Ben's luggage. "Ben. You are the most important person to me and I want you to be happy. I know that you want to stay but you'll thank me later. So please, drop it and finish packing because you're leaving in two hours. I have to grab something, I'll be right back."

Ben put his toiletries in a bag and placed it in a pocket. "I can't even speak Italian..." He mumbled under his breath.

Ben zipped up his suitcase. He took his passport out of the box where he keeps all of his special important things and slid it into his pocket. Ben's dad tapped his shoulder.

"Yes?"

He offered his old film camera to Ben. "Your mother got me this as a wedding present." He smiled, but there was pain in his eyes. "I want you to remember all of these things Ben, I really do."

Ben took it and hugged his dad. "You and mom mean the world to me, okay? I love you guys so much. No matter how dysfunctional we are."

———

"What took you so long?" Veronica called out from the stairs of the jet.

"Wait, we're going in a private jet?" Ben was only half surprised. He had just gotten out of the black SUV Veronica had sent to pick him up at his house and walked toward the private jet.

"What? You thought we were going on Spirit?" She snorted. "Hurry up and get on before we leave without you." Veronica climbed up the stairs and disappeared into the plane's body.

Ben made sure to separate his camera, his phone, his headphones, and his passport from his luggage. A smiling bag boy who was probably two years older than him took his luggage. Ben didn't see where it went but he assumed that it was safe. This was Veronica White's family jet, after all.

Ben shamelessly asked one of the bodyguards outside of the plane to take a picture of him on the red carpet stairs before heading up. As soon as he walked into the passenger's cabin, he noticed that there were only four of them. He took a quick glance at the faces and realized MJ wasn't there. He spied Jess and Isaiah seated across from each other, as far away from each other as possible. Evelynn sat next to Jess, sleeping.

"Veronica... where's MJ?" He took the seat beside Atlas but across from Veronica. "Also," he turned to his best friend, "hey Atlas." Atlas just laughed and rolled his eyes.

"MJ... isn't coming." She looked just about done after saying the poor boy's name.

"Why?"

"He said he had some things to take care of. Whatever. What a lame-ass. Says he's in love with her but can't even pull himself together." She crossed her arms and looked out the window. Veronica obviously wanted her best friend to make up with her boyfriend. The fact that MJ even let Cameron get away without making up was surprising. He always wanted his girlfriend to be happy with him, no matter the circumstance.

Ben watched her expression change from a hard one to a thoughtful one. "I sense a little resentment."

"Me and MJ are way over, Ben. I really wanted him to make up with Cameron. Even if they end up breaking up anyway, they should at least enjoy some time together before college."