Part 22: The Old Legend

You and N walk hand in hand through the ancient city. The sky is a deep blue above you, with a few stars dusting it.

You had picked up the Oran Berries long ago, but now you two are just wandering around, enjoying a somewhat romantic evening.

"Hold on," someone says from behind you. "Are you two members of Team Plasma?" An older man with a sharp white beard is standing there with his arms crossed.

N takes to answering the question. "Well yes, but we aren't planning to cause any harm."

The man's frown deepens. "If you are a part of Team Plasma, I must ask you to leave. This city has had a lot of trouble with you folks."

N holds his hands up innocently. "If you want us to leave, we will. But will you allow us to get our friends from the Pokémon Center?"

"Ugh, there are more of you?"

"No, sir. I'm talking about our Pokémon partners. We left them at the center."

"Very well. But I will follow you back to make sure you don't-"

"Come oooooooooooooooon gramps! He said they aren't gonna make any trouble!"

A young girl with big purple hair comes barreling down the street and gives the man a hug.

"Goodness Iris, now is not the time."

a. "I think you owe us an explanation, sir."

b. "Who are you two?"

c. Stay silent.

The man clears his throat, peeling the girl off him. "Listen, I am Drayden, former Gym Leader of this city."

"And I'm Iris, the current one! It's nice to meet you!" Iris stretches out her hand and you hesitantly shake it. "I'm sorry about my grandpa. Why don't you come in for some tea?"

"Iris they're-"

"They are visitors. We have to give them a proper welcome!"

Iris sits you down at a table in a fairly fancy-looking house. There's a lit up chandelier hanging from the ceiling, making light reflect off all the well polished surfaces.

N sits beside you, looking around nervously. He's probably never been in a place like this.

Drayden sets a small mug in front of each of you then sits down beside Iris at the other side of the table.

"So," Iris says cheerfully. "Where are you guys from?"

You purse your lips into a tight line.

N clearly senses exactly what's going through your mind, so he answers first. "I-I grew up near Accumula Town."

"Same," you whisper.

N looks off to the side, staring at the pictures on the wall instead of meeting Drayden's gaze.

There are many pictures hanging, most of Iris as a child, but in the center, there's a painting of Zekrom and Reshiram, forming a Yin-Yang-like shape.

(something like this)

"Has the painting caught your attention?" Drayden asks.

N seems startled, but nods slowly.

"There is a story about the two legendary Pokémon. Would you like to hear it?"

"Yes," N says quickly. "I believe I have heard it before, but I don't remember much."

"Yay! I love this story!" Iris chirps.

"Settle down. Now listen not only with your ears, but also with your heart."

Once, a long time ago, there were two twin heroes. They controlled one almighty Dragon in order to create the Unova Region as we know it now.

One day, the two brothers disagreed on what to pursue; the older twin wished to pursue the truth, while the younger twin wished to pursue his ideals. They argued and fought about who was right.

As a result, the one almighty Dragon split into two: Reshiram representing the older twin's truth and Zekrom representing the younger twin's ideals. After many battles, neither won nor lost, the twins decided that there was no right answer.

While they may have come to this conclusion, the sons of the heroes began the fight once again, and the Unova Region was cast into ruin. Then the heroes, as well as the two dragons, faded away into legend.

N looks up, in thought. "Yes... I remember now."

"I've heard people in town spreading rumours about Zekrom and Reshiram returning once again. But I don't think it's very likely." Drayden crosses his arms, something he seems to do a lot.

"History could be repeating itself..." Iris thinks out loud. "But who would the heroes be?"

Drayden clears his throat. "In order to control the legendary Pokémon, you would have to be deemed worthy by them. Either way, I believe it is time for you two to be going."

"Thank you for having us," N says quickly. He takes your hand and you leave the fancy house.

"You have to be proven worthy, huh?" he says as you walk back to the Pokémon Center. "Hey, Y/N."

"What is it?"

"I think I want to find Reshiram, and be her friend. Then together we can carve the Unova Region into what it should be. Even if I have to use force-" He pauses. "No... if I use force, people will resist. But you get what I mean, right? I want to create a safe world for Pokémon."

You aren't sure how to reply.

A/N: Heeeeeeeeeeello everyone! I am apologizing for the short chapter, but I didn't have much to say in this part. Now, instead of my usual banter, I am here to give you some credits! The Zekrom and Reshiram drawing was done by JashinsAngel on deviant art, and I used Bulbapedia as a reference for the story that Drayden tells you. That's all!