Chapter 4 - A Baby from Brooklyn

Crutchies's POV

"Baby in Brooklyn born with 2 'eads, ya 'eard it 'ere first folks, page 3". I hollered.

It was nearly 3:00pm and I had already sold almost every last paper I had.

"I'll take a pape", I heard a female voice come from behind me.

"Thank you miss", I responded, pulling my last paper out of my bag. "That'll be a penny plea-Clara!?", I looked up to see a familiar face laughing back at me.

"Hey Crutchie", she smiled, tossing a penny at me.

"What are you doing 'ere?", I grin back at her, giving her a paper in return for the penny.

"Just vistin' my favourite Newsie", I blushed slightly at the comment, praying she won't notice.

"So, where's this baby with two 'eads?".

"Page 3, like I said, ya calling me a liar Clara?", I teased, (which I quickly regretted due to a bruise that formed on my shoulder).

"Would ya look at dat, 'baby born with two 'eads', page 3, no mention of Brooklyn though", she grinned at me. This girl was a little too good at teasing me, she must have had brothers or something.

"Well, who doesn't like pickin' on Brooklyn".

"Even after they saved your asses in the strike?". She leant against the streetlamp and smirked, clearly pleased with her last statement. How did she know that?

"Well, I was in the refuge for 'alf of that so, I never even met them Brooklyn boys".

I watched her face drop.

"Oh my goodness, Crutchie I-I'm so sorry", she stood up straight and placed her hand on my forearm for a second, as if she was reassuring me everything was going to be okay.

"Hey, stop apologisin' for things you didn't do, I should be apologisin', I took the joke too far", I assured her softly. She rolled her eyes and me and smiled slightly. God that smile. Hey eyes seemed to always light up with it.

"U-um anyway", I snapped myself back into reality, "there's a really great restaurant down the street, if you want to get out of the cold. Not that it's super cold. I just sold me last pape so I thought-. W-we don't have to but you know if you want we-"

"I'd love to Crutchie", she cut off my rambling and smiled at me again. Jeez, that smile.

I grinned back at her, "Great, follow me".