Chapter 7 - The Fair

Clara's POV

The fairground was beautiful. By the time we got there It was just getting dark, so the place was decked with glowing fairy lights and was bustling with people of all ages, running around and yelling at each other. The air was warm, and smelt of cotton candy and popcorn. Making me feel 10 years old again.

I watched as Crutchie stared at Jack and Katherine leaning against each other and laughing, Jack leaving the occasional kiss on her cheek.

"You're not mad, I invited them are ya?", I asked, putting my chin on his shoulder from behind.

He quickly spun around and looked at me, (well as quickly as a guy on a crutch could move). "Nah, they's my best friends, If anything I's happy ya invited them". He smiled down at me, not losing eye contact for a second.

"STEP RIGHT UP, ONE NIGHT ONLY FOR THE MACALLAN TRAVELLING FAIR". We both looked up to see a young gentleman with dirty blonde, curly hair wearing a checkered blue and red waistcoat.

"Ain't some creepy old guy supposed to be doin' this bit?", Jack chuckled as his own joke.

"Yeah well, ours disappeared in New Hampshire a couple years ago", the man replied coldly, "you going in or what?".

"We are", I grinned, ignoring his cold stare and grabbing Crutchie's hand, dragging him inside. I noticed Crutchie look down at our intertwined hands and smile.

"Hey guys", Katherine partially yelled at us, "we're going to do our own thing, we'll catch up with you later", she finished, pulling Jack away.

"Looks like it's just us", Crutchie grinned, pulling me through the fair ground.

-------------Time skip brought to you by me putting Ben Cook's Tuck Character in this-----------

After nearly 3 hours of candyfloss, rigged games and deep fried food Crutchie and I basically collapsed laughing in front of the ferris wheel.

"And that was the time Race nearly drowned himself in the bathtub", Crutchie finished.

"I need to meet these guys", I was barely able to make out from laughing too hard.

"I don't know, Race is a big ladies man, wouldn't want him stealing ya from me", Crutchie grinned his adorable lopsided grin, I'm very much aware of my blush. We sit in comfortable silence for a minute, allowing me to process my thoughts. Did he like me back? Did he mean that? Maybe he was just joking around with me.

I looked at a clock hanging from a stall, presumably some lame prize: 8:00pm. Shit.

"I should probably get going, my bro-".

"Come on, you can't go to a fair and not ride the ferris wheel", Crutchie stood and offered his hand to help me up.

"Fine", I chuckled, seemingly forgetting the fact my brothers were going to kill me when I got home, "one time round".

We paid the worker and climbed into the carriage. Once we started moving upwards I delicately leaned my head on Crutchie's shoulder.

Above the city everything looked different, you could barely make out a few stars and the moon, plus you could clearly see every light on in every building.

"Sure is beautiful up 'ere", I said, letting Crutchie put his arm around my shoulders.

"Yeah, ya are", he says softly.

I lift my head up, and look at him with a small smile. "Ya think?". I was overwhelmed with happiness. I guess he did like me back.

He quickly covered his mouth with the hand previously around me, realising what he said.

"Ya ain't to bad yourself Crutchie", I grin at him, letting him lower his hand and smile back at me.

He moved himself slightly closer to me and reached up to tuck a stray piece of hair behind my ear, allowing his hand to cup my face. He slowly lent in and brushed his lips lightly on my own. After a second of shock, I placed my hands on his chest and kissed him back.

They say then when you kiss 'the one' sparks fly, and in that moment they did. In that moment, everything was perfect. Then we got to the end of the ride.

We reluctantly pulled away and climbed off the ferris wheel and stood on the fairground. Suddenly newsies definitely didn't seem as dangerous as my brothers said.

"I-I should probably go, thank you for the amazing night Crutchie '', I lean forward and kiss his cheek before turning around.

"Clara wait!". Before I could even make a step Crutchie grabbed my wrist, forcing me to turn back around. He kissed me again, moving one hand to my waist and leaving the other on his crutch for support. Without thinking this time, I kissed him back, letting my arms rest around his neck.

"See ya tomorrow?", he smiled as I pulled away.

"Definitely", I grinned. "See ya then", I turned and ran off the fairground, feeling happier than I had in a long while.