Chapter 13 - The Penthouse

Clara's POV

I followed Crutchie up the fire escape to the roof of the building. The roof was surrounded by railings and had a beautiful view into lower manhattan.

"Welcome to our penthouse", Crutchie said, gesturing to the rooftop.

"Our?", I ask.

"Me and Jack", he added, pointing to the pile of art supplies and blankets the corner. "So, we need to talk".

"Ya don't say", I laugh, making him smile.

"Why didn't ya tell me Clara?", he gave me a look of genuine sadness, as if he really was heartbroken.

"Because I knew ya'd act like this", I laughed at him, causing him to cringe, "Crutchie I really like you".

"I really like ya too Clara, It's just your broth-".

"Ah yes, ya can't choose ya family", I smiled at Crutchie. He looked tired and somehow dirtier than usual, but he was still as handsome as ever, even for a newsie.

Crutchie sat down, gently placing his crutch beside him, dangling his legs off the side of the building.

"Crutchie I meant what I said last week", I sat myself down next to him, "I love ya, I really do".

He turns to me and grins his iconic dopey grin, "I love ya too Clara, and I'm sorry".

"Don't be, I-".

"No Clara, youse is right", he cut me off, "Ya can't pick ya family, and I'm pretty sure ya ain't gonna beat me, well, ya did give me a bruise last week but I ain't counting that", he winked at me.

"I should've told ya", I said with an apologetic smile.

"Well", Crutchie cleared his throat, "Clara Delancey, would you do me the honour of putting' this all behind us and bein' me girlfriend?, even if it doesn mean I have to deal with the wrath of ya brothers", he stared down at me with the most beautiful hope filled eyes.

"I will", I laugh, grinning back at him.

"YES!", he yelled, then immediately went red realising he said that out loud, "I mean, great, gives us more time to do this". He gently placed his forefinger under my chin and tilted my head up, admiring me for a second before leaning in and kissing me gently.

I pulled away after a minute or so and admired him, he truly was handsome. "Ya know, for years my brothers told me to stay away from the newsies, and yet here I am, on top of the newsies lodge, kissin' my boyfriend, who is a newsie", I laugh. God, they're going to kill me.

"Really", Crutchie asked, laughing a little,"we ain't that scary".

"Yeah, I get it tho", I smiled as Crutchie placed his arm around my shoulders and pulled me in, allowing me to rest my head on his shoulder. "They weren't always like this, after my mother died I guess they just wanted revenge on the world".

"Clara, whatever did happen to ya mother", Crutchie asked.

I sigh and look up at him. "Well".