We're Not In Corona Anymore

Rose landed on a concrete street, people surrounding every inch of her. They gave her weird looks, but didn’t offer her any help. She quickly stood up. Where was she? And where was Varian?

    Over on a bench, Varian lay sleeping. Rose sighed. He was alright. She walked up to him and shook his shoulders. “Wake up!”
    Varian opened his eyes with a snort. “Ah!” He looked around. “Where are we?”

    Rose searched the dimension they were in. Large buildings surrounded every inch of them, and people swarmed through the streets. It looked too modern to be Corona. Too… futuristic.

    Rose walked up to a random person. “Could you tell me what year it is?”

    They just ignored her. Rose frowned. A piece of paper caught her eye. She picked it up. The Daily Print. Sounded like a newspaper. Rose searched for the date. January 21st, 2020. She stared at those words in surprise. They had gone about 200 years into the future!

    “Varian!” Rose ran up to him as he sat up, rubbing his head. “The year is 2020!”

    “2020?!” Varian exclaimed. Rose showed him the paper in her hand. “That can’t be right.”

    Rose glanced up at the many people giving them weird looks. Then she peered at her own clothes. “Hey, uh, Varian.” He continued to look at the newspaper. “I think we should get new clothes.”

    “Why?” Varian asked. He then looked up at the people passing by. “Oh…”

    Rose felt around her pockets, thankful that she had some spare change in there. “Come on, let’s go find a clothing store!”

    Varian was dragged along as Rose grabbed his wrist.

    Rose stopped in front of a store that read: Macy’s. “Looks interesting.” She continued to drag Varian into the store.

    Inside were crowds of people, and a whole ton of clothes. Varian barely had a chance to stop before being dragged around again.

    Rose stopped beside a rack full of formal dresses. “Ooh, pretty.” But she didn’t stay long, and continued to search for a good outfit. Varian was not enjoying being pulled around.

                    . . . 

    After a few minutes of searching, Rose finally found something that she liked. She headed into a dressing room while Varian waited outside, rubbing his wrist.

    Rose came back out, wearing a forest green t-shirt that was tied at the end. She wore simple jeggings, and kept the shoes that she had on before. She turned to Varian. “How do I look?”

    Varian smiled at her. “Great!”

    “Thanks. Now you have to pick something out.”

    Varian groaned. “Fine.”

    Rose stood outside the dressing room, waiting for Varian to come out with his new outfit. She didn’t know what he had chosen, but knew that it would look great. (Scratch that-- if it looked awful she’d pick something for him.)

    To her surprise, he had picked out something that looked nice. A simple gray t-shirt with a blue flannel overtop, unbuttoned to show the t-shirt. He wore blue jeans and black Converse. He held up his arms to view his own outfit. “How’s it look?”

    “Very nice!” Rose told him. He smiled at her. “So, what do we do about our old clothes?”

    Varian spotted a trash can nearby, and picked up their old clothes, then threw them into the bin. He brushed off his hands. “Done.”

    Rose eyes the goggles on his head. “And what about your goggles?”

    Varian took them off, then stared at them for a while. Hesitantly, he threw those into the trash, too. “I’ve got more at home.”

    Together, they padded up to the cash register. The cashier stared at them. 

    “Sorry we put the clothes on before paying. It was an emergency.”

    The cashier just eyed them. “That will be 89 dollars and 75 cents, please.”

    Rose shared a glance with Varian. What the heck was a dollar? She reached into her pocket and retrieved a gold coin. “Will this cover it?”

    The cashier stared at the coin in amazement. “Is that real?”

    “Uh, yeah.”

    The cashier grabbed the coin. “Thank you, please come again!”

    He sounded like he genuinely meant it.

    Once outside the store, Rose turned to Varian. “Okay, so now we blend in. What now?”

    “Well, we’re going to have to try and figure out a way to get back home. We’re going to have to assemble the parts to create another portal,” Varian explained.

    “But where are we going to find those parts?” Rose asked.

    Varian put his hand to his chin as he thought. Rose walked up to a nearby pedestrian.

    “Excuse me, do you know a nearby store that we could get hardware tools?” she asked politely.

    “Like… Home Depot?” they quizzed.

    “Do they sell hardware items?”

    “Yeah.” Then they walked away.

    “I’ve got it!” Rose exclaimed to Varian. “We just need to get to Home Depot.”

    “How’re we supposed to get there if we don’t even know where it is?” Varian asked, his head tilted down as he looked up.

    “Oh yeah…”

    Rose watched as people waved their hands at large yellow boxes with wheels. They would stop near the person and the person would climb inside it. Rose read Taxi on the side of it.

    She ran up to the edge of the sidewalk and started waving her hand around like a maniac. A Taxi stopped in front of her. She turned to Varian. “Come on!”
    Varian stared at her in surprise, then quickly followed after her as she crawled into the Taxi. The driver didn’t even look back at them. “Where’re you headin’?”

    “To Home Depot,” Rose told him. 

    “Alright.” The Taxi started speeding up, and the view outside the windows was a blur.

    Eventually, they stopped in front of a large building with the words: The Home Depot on it. The driver held out his hand. Rose looked at Varian. What did he want?

    Taking a gold coin out of her pocket, Rose put it in the driver’s palm. He stared at it in amazement. What was it with everyone looking weirdly at a gold coin? Had they never seen one before?

    As Varian and Rose got out of the Taxi, the driver gave them a big smile. “Thanks!” Then he zoomed off.

    Rose and Varian stared at the large building before them. Rose put her hands on her hips. “Home Depot, here we come!”