5

+

+

harper couldn't remember a time when she wasn't being driven around in stiles' jeep. the two didn't realise, but they were being subtly set up by their group of friends, well except scott, he didn't seem too keen.

"hey, stiles?" harper angled her body towards stiles, he briefly glanced at her and hummed

"do you know why scott pulled Lydia over to the side earlier?" she questioned

he slightly tightened his grip on the steering wheel and tensed his jaw

"no... I don't" he avoided eye contact

"do you think they're hooking up?" stiles laughed and scoffed slightly

"scott and Lydia? never in a million years" stiles exaggerated

"oh okay, that's good. it wouldn't be a 'best friend' type thing to do"

"what do you mean?" stiles quirked an eyebrow

"you know, seeing as you like Lydia. its not right to hook up with the girl your best friend likes" harper says her words in a slightly sassy tone, almost jealous.

"I don't like Lydia." he snaps, slightly aggressive
"that's what you told me" harper folds her arms and quirks her head stubbornly.

"well things have changed" he taps his fingers on the steering wheel seeming agitated.
harper knew she shouldn't push him, she could tell he was tense and annoyed, but she couldn't help it. she was curious.

one side of her was saying "curiosity killed the cat" but the other side said "satisfaction bought it back" and that side- was the more convincing one.

"how, how have things changed in the space of what? a week"

"i-i don't know. i guess i move on quickly. anyways, i think i've found someone else" he mumbles the last part, but harper still heard and couldn't help the pang of jealousy that struck her. from there, she decided to leave it, as she would break her own heart hearing more.

even though she was confident, harper was also insecure. about little things like, her hair being to frizzy or embarrassing herself in-front of everyone. or falling for someone who would never feel the same for her- unrequited love is a bitch.

they sat in silence for the rest of the ride, but not the usual silence. the type of silence that made you want to curl up into a ball and die. the type of silence that holds tension which is so thick, it could be cut by a knife.

when the jeep came to a halt, harper stepped out of it and let out a breath she didn't even know she was holding.

stiles sped up slightly and unlocked the door, he then stepped to the side and harper walked through, thanking him under her breath.